Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laurette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 07:12 PM
    What are my rights as a creditor
    My husband went bankrupt after our divorce. I had an order for him owing me 35k, he hadn't paid for over a year, then he went bankrupt. We had not worked out a payment plan or anything, I don't think he should have been able to go bankrupt, can I fight this 2 years later? Also, he has a trustee and a conditional discharge. The condition being he must pay me 17k. The trustee tells me that I will receive payment once he has paid the full amount. Should he not have to pay me periodically before that? Am I able to garnish his wages, he claims he is paying the trustee, but how do I know?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this subject
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2006, 07:55 PM
    It appears he did a chapter 13 bankruptcy, you would have received notice of his intent to file and had a chance when he filed during various hearings to file varoius motions challenging his filing and also challenging the percentage you were to be paid.

I would ask why you did not hire an attorney to contest this while it was in process ? You may or may not have a right to file or contest at this point, but you need a bankruptcy attorney to review all of this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Can a creditor foreclose on my house? [ 10 Answers ]

Thanks to everyone for a quick response. I was told today, by an attorney, that if a judgement is placed against me by a credit card company (I have $80k in unsecured debt) that not only can they place a lien on my house, but they can foreclose. How is that possible?

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

View more questions Search