Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ripvonboomer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 03:31 PM
    401K early withdrawal
    I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario:

401K balance - $28000.00

I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution check $22400.00... corrrect?
    My questions are these:
    When does the10% penalty come into play?
    Is it 10% of the total balance?
    Is the penalty taken out of your refund?
    Are there additional taxes - for instance, when I do my takes next year, do I have to add $22400.00 or even the full $28000.00 to my income, and get taxed on it again?

In a nutshell, I would like a breakdown of early withdrawel on 401K with a $28000.00 balance. If I decide to do it, I want to know how much to put back so I don't get caught off guard when tax time rolls around. Can you help me out here?

Thank you so much!
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 18, 2006, 08:16 PM
    The 10% penalty comes off the top before taxes.
    I think I had Schwab when I did this and they cut me a check with the taxes and penalty already taken out.
    Talk with the place you have your 401K as I'd bet they would have the exact answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2006, 06:18 AM
    As shunned indicated you should be talking to the benefits adminstrators at your company. The 20% withholding is just that, a withholding. Its NOT the extent of your tax liability, just like what's being withheld from your paycheck is not the exact amount you pay.

My question is have you explored a loan rather than a withdrawal? Mosy 401K plans have a load provision. The kicker is that the interest you pay goes right back into your account. Essentially you are borrowing from yourself and paying yourself interest. So instead of a penalty and a tax liability, you actually increase the value of your investment.
    ripvonboomer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 07:47 AM
    The company I worked for shut the doors in April. We have to cash out or roll over. I was contemplating this to get out of a car payment for the next 5 1/2 years. I'm not set on withdrawing it... it's just a thought at this point. I really appreciate the responses. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
    You need to look at the cost of a car loan. Over the term of the loan how much will you be paying in interest? During the same amount of time, how much will the rollover of this money earn in interest. Now add the 10% penalty and the tax implication. I would be very surprised if taking out a car loan doesn't work out better.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Hi, rip,
    If you can, please roll it over! You will save much in taxes at a later date.
    Yes, If you withdraw it, get the check in your hand, then 10% comes off before the check is written. Then, 20% comes off for Federal Taxes, before the check is written. Then, if you have a State Income Tax, have an additional 4% (possibly, could be more or less) taken out for the State.
    That will be a total of about 34% you will never see!
    When it comes time to file your taxes for this year, you DON'T have to pay the Federal and State taxes again. But, you will have to file a form with all the information from your company, about how much was already taken out from your 401k.
    Later on in your life, your taxes will be less, especially when you retire. You could save a whole lot of money on taxes by rolling it over, to maybe an IRA account with your local bank.
    Talk with your bank about it, and then you can make a better decision.
    Best of luck.
    wompoo dove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    As shunned indicated you should be talking to the benefits adminstrators at your company. The 20% withholding is just that, a withholding. Its NOT the extent of your tax liability, just like what's being withheld from your paycheck is not the exact amount you pay.

My question is have you explored a loan rather than a withdrawal? Mosy 401K plans have a load provision. The kicker is that the interest you pay goes right back into your account. Essentially you are borrowing from yourself and paying yourself interest. So instead of a penalty and a tax liability, you actually increase the value of your investment.

Hi there...

I was wondering if you knew if a Roth IRA also has a provison so that I can borrow against it along with my what you have labeled here as a "load provision" for the 401K...

I would combine the 2 to obtain a downpayment for land to build on if this was possible.

Many thanks for any advice or comments!

Cheers

Don Kimball

Jul 25, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Sorry that was a typo, should have been loan provision.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Roth IRAs to know whether they have a loan provision. I would tend to doubt it since they are self managed. But you can easily find out by asking the institution that the account is deposited with.
    wompoo dove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Sorry that was a typo, should have been loan provision.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Roth IRAs to know whether they have a loan provision. I would tend to doubt it since they are self managed. But you can easily find out by asking the institution that the account is deposited with.
    Scott I would love to know if my 401K offers a loan provision. Is there any obvious way to find this out or do I need to contact the institution itself?

Thanks so much

Don Kimball

Jul 26, 2006, 05:18 AM
    Almost all 401Ks do. The easiest thing is to contact the Benefits department or plan administrator. You should have some sort of plan document that states the provisions.
    jr1njr2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 05:59 AM
    I am 60 years of age and in poor health undergoing chemo treatments for lung cancer, the outlook doestnt look to good at this time, my question is as follows, I have a 401k plan at the company were I still work, total amount saved at this date is $46,000 , if I quit work now and withdraw all my investment, what taxes will I be liable for.

Sep 9, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Since you are over 59 1/2 there will be no penalty. You will have to add the $46K to whatever income you get for 2006. This could bump up your tax bracket increasing your overall tax liability. I would consult your accountant.
    jr1njr2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Since you are over 59 1/2 ther will be no penalty. You will have to add the $46K to whatever income you get for 2006. This could bump up your tax bracket increasing your overall tax liability. I would consult your accountant.

Yes, it helped a lot, thank you
    dennis1957 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Hi there
    I was thinking of withdrawing enough money out of my 401k to use for the closing cost on a new house. Is there still that penalty using the money for the purchase of a new house?
    dennis1957 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Hi there
    I was thinking of withdrawing enough money out of my 401k to use for the closing cost on a new house. Is there still that penalty using the money for the purchase of a new house?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 11:29 AM

This question is a double post, and is answered here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...al-458633.html

Dennis - in the future please do not post the same question in two different forums. Also, when asking a new question please do not tag onto an older question like this - and especially not onto a thread that is 3-1/2 year old - but rather start a new thread. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal by non-resident [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

Early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I need to withdraw my 401 K funds but have been told I can't do it because I am still working for the company. My total is fully vested. I don't qualify for a hardship withdrawel & already have 2 loans on it. Is there anything I can do?

Early 401k withdrawal 1040NR form [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Austrian National who lived in Columbia, SC 1999 - 2002 and moved to Mexico in before the end of 2002. In 2003 I made an early withdrawal of my entire 401k savings of $US 23'000. Now I receive a letter from the IRS that I need to file a tax return using form 1040NR. Question one: Is...

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

View more questions Search