Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Nov 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
    '94 Camry 2.2L Timing Belt Replacement Frequency?
    1994 Toyota Camry 2.2L engine had timing belt replaced at 80,k miles (not owned by me then). Now has 150,k miles; 50k by me. Driven like museum piece! What does your experience say about when next belt replacement? Also does this engine have valve interference or not? BTW: every time I've had older Corolla's timing belts changed due to unknown history, the replaced belts looked almost new (could even read oem printed specs). Thanks for Opinions.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 09:29 PM

Most Toyotas do not have interference engines. Kitch428 is our Toyota expert and he can tell you for sure. Still, I would replace it at 160,000 miles.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 11:02 PM

Corolla's don't go through belts like the Camry's. Apple's to oranges.
    There's no interference with your engine. However, there's other things behind the timing cover no one can see unless pulled apart and inspected.
    At your millage, It's time to consider getting it done. If a waterpump wasn't done at the first belt change, then definitely this time. Also the engine seals. Cam, crank, 2 oil pump seals.
    There's tensioner and idler pulleys to be closly inspected. Any of the above can leave you stranded if failed.
    Toyota's are great cars, but they need a little love once and a while. Even if they were driven like a "museum piece"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timing Belt? [ 4 Answers ]

Does a Honda Odyssey van have a timing belt/chain that needs changed periodically as do the Accords? If so, what is the timeframe?

Timing Belt replacement 1998 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Civic in which the mechanic says that the timing belt needs to be replaced. I have 60K on the car however the owner's manual is giving me conflicting advice. It states that in normal conditions you should change the belt at 105,000 miles. In severe conditions you should change...

Timing Belt [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased used 2000 Honda Accord. Previous owner did not replace timing belt at 110,000 miles but said mechanic check it and it was okay. Can timing belt be checked? Should we quickly replace it?

Timing belt toyota camry 1991 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I have a toyota camry 1991 v6 the timing belt broke off and I can't afford to pay a mechanic. Now I'm trying to fix is myself, my problem is the firing order of the cylender and the setting of the timing gear and belt. Thanks in advance hope to hear from someone soon...

Timing belt [ 2 Answers ]

I own a Plymouth Voyaguer 97, 3.3 engine ABS, non turbo, still wondering if the Minivan uses a Timing Belt or a Timing Chain. Please answer

View more questions Search