Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2003, 07:28 AM
    Root Systems
    How about helping out a fellow expert,(plumbing page)? I live on the West coast of Florida. When Tropical Storm Gabriel came ashore a few days after 9/11 the combination of rain,(soggy soil) and wind toppled a Jacaranda Tree that was over fifty feet tall and forty eight years old. This tree has no tap root and the roots pulled right up out of the ground. I had the tree cut up and removed but soon after new trees started growing up from the roots. I cut back most of them but allowed three to continue growing. The biggest one is now twenty feet tall. However it's growing out of the end of a root that's about five or six inches in diameter. No "spreader" roots. Just coming out of the one big root. Now these trees grow to be humungous. I worry that when it gets mature a strong wind will topple it into my neighbors pool cage. What's your take on this? Will the root system I have described be enough to anchor a mature Jacaranda? Should I cut them down? I would like to keep them, but not at the expense of my neighbors pool cage. Your thoughts? Cheers, Tom aka speedball1
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2007, 01:28 PM
    This will probably slow winds that won't topple it over right

I saw evergreens at my local park being tied down from the top with lines staked to the ground. Just assumed it was to make branches expand in a nicer way but could be a solution for you till the roots look strong enough to hold it

Another thought is to prune the lover branches so less wind catches it. If done right won't harm the tree and there is plenty of info for it online

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Tree Root Question [ 4 Answers ]

A couple of months ago, I posted a plumbing problem where the basement drain was backing up. The plumber came out and said it was the kitchen line that was clogged and cleared it and that seemed to do the trick. This past week, it happened again after heavy rains with much more damage to my...

Root canal tooth came out [ 1 Answers ]

My back tooth which had a root canal and crown just came out, crown and tooth intact with a silver post. I don't know what to do. Help, I don't think the dentist is in his office until Monday and it is Friday night. I'm thinking the tooth had decayed under the crown. I have a huge hole in my...

Maple tree root system [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old maple tree which has several rather large roots above ground. This tree is also mounding up and is now approximately 10 inches above ground level. I was hoping to build a short planter around the tree to give the illusion that the ground was level. To complicate things, my yard is...

Tap root for maple tree [ 2 Answers ]

In my front yard I have a 30-35 foot norwegian (?) maple Tree it is planted close to my incoming water pipe As well our outgoing sewer pipe. The sewer pipe looks as though it is 3-4 feet below ground and the water pipe is 2 feet deeper . The tree trunk is 1-2 feet from the outside ...

View more questions Search