Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corey_dbc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 09:37 AM
    windows 98
    my computer stopped working so I put a new windows disk in it but I only could find windows 98 and I had 2000 on it and now my computer won't let me change the screen area and the colour is only 2 bit or 16 bit witch sucks because I can't see anything and my programs need more pixles the 640x480 so if there is a way to change this I would really like it thank you for your help
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
    You need the graphics card driver for windows 98 (for your particular graphics card). Find out the make and model of your graphics card if you can and go to the manufacturers website, there you should be able to download what you need.

Jun 18, 2006, 01:13 PM
    OK where would I find this out would it be on my computer
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
    I would go to windows update.

Jun 19, 2006, 04:25 AM
    Try running Aida32 on your system,it should tell you your graphics card make and model, it might even give you a link to download the driver

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Most likely, your installing Win 98 didn't recognize the video hardware so it setup default SVGA. If Aida, doesn't tell you the hardware you have, you will need to find out yourself. This means checking the manufacturer or the documents that came with the PC or if you installed new hardware, etc. Once you determine what hardware you have you can find and load the correct drivers.

Jun 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Omg You Guys Rule Like Wow I Almost Spent 100 Bucks On A New Card U Guys Are A Life Saver

Jun 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
    I think we have a happy customer :) :) :)

Glad you got it sorted!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Way to go guys!

Corey, please share which of the suggestions worked for you so that if other users down the road run into this they can get fixed too. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Accualy I have some more problems my hard drive only says it has 1.99GB :confused:its a 20 GB hard drive
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 19, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by corey_dbc
    accualy i have some more problems my hard drive only says it has 1.99GB :confused:its a 20 GB hard drive
    Sounds like it was formated at Fat16 instead of Fat32. Or, it may be Fat32 and just be partitioned to 2GB.

There are some tools you can use to resize your partition. However, these tools can also be used to remove your partition, so use them at your own risk!

Ranish Partition Manager
    http://www.ranish.com/part/
    Partition Manager is a freeware program that partitions hard disks. It will help you to install and dualboot Linux and multiple copies of Windows. For example, it will let you to run Win ME, Win 2k, and Linux on a single box. Also, using Partition Manager you can copy, move, and resize disk partitions.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Partition Resizer
    http://www.zeleps.com/
    New features include:

Int13 extensions support allows handling of disks up to 2TB (2048GB) of size.
    New Resizing/Moving engine with simpler inerface. Move and resize your partitions in one step.
    Transparent extended partition resizing (no more confusion with extended partitions).
    Command line parameters for accessing advanced options (read-only operation etc.).

Partition Resizer is a small DOS executable, which requires no installation, and can perform, all these tasks in a short while, giving you the opportunity to re-arrange your partitions safely, quickly and fuss-free.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    3D Partition Manager
    http://www.sofotex.com/3D-Partition-...oad_L1884.html
    3D Partition Manager Publisher's Description:
    Partition Manager - create, delete, resize partitions. Format and resize FAT-16 and FAT-32 file systems. Advanced Boot Manager - select active partition at the boot time, boot from the second hard drive. Hide/unhide partitions. Create up to 31 primary partitions on a single hard drive
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Sounds like you didn't enable LBA (large Block Addressing) when you formatted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows 98 se [ 6 Answers ]

My windows 98se was corrupted. So I reinstalled it. My old programs are working. But those programs are not showing in the new add/remove programs list - to unstall it or see what are all they. Plese tell me how to see those ones in this add/remove programs.

Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about Windows XP. I'm wondering if I have to update all my software/hardware if I install windows XP. My present version is windows 98 Second Edition. My software/hardware includes OmniPage Pro 9, Epson 1660 photo scanner, a Samsung web camera, a Samsung printer, Sound...

View more questions Search