Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffJordan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Need ideas for converting floor drain into sump
    Well my grand idea from this thread didn't pan out https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...in-272705.html- the area where I can access the vertical sewer pipe is already joined and T's and cleanout'ed and I cannot T into it again at an elevation that works. In summary I need to be able to get water out of the basement floor drain in case the existing floor drain that drains as a French drain above ground freezes and backs up.

So now what I am thinking is remove the floor drain by cutting out the concrete floor and putting in a sump pump system that will pump the water out. For a variety of reasons (mostly location of drain to outside from utility room) I still want to tie it into the septic system, so I would go UP with the pipe and wye it into an existing 2” horizontal drain line.

Questions if I do this:

(1) Do I need to put any kind of trap in the line – I assume not since it will be a closed pump system?

(2) Do I put the Wye pointing UP and tie in above it (run my new line higher and run back down to the horizontal line I am t'ing into. I assume so but with a backflow preventer on the sump line out it would be full of water all the time so does it matter?

(3) Do I need ot be concerned about pumping water into the existing 2" line under pressure from teh sump pump - will it potentially back up through the line 2" even if I use a Wye and cause the sink above it to spew the trap contents out in to the sink...

(4) And will this work? I am thinking that I can use the existing 2” drain line from the floor drain and tie it into the sump pit so that as water fills the pit, it will drain out the French drain line and use the sump as an overflow really if and when the 2” line freezes – water goes up higher and kicks on the pump.

Dec 1, 2008, 01:15 PM
    My biggest concern is the Wie into an existing line - will it blow back to the sink through the trap?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Hi JJ:

I would be concerned about tying into the drainage system with this. Don't get me wrong... it was done this way for YEARS and Years, but it's majorly frowned upon today.

My biggest concern is that the drainline could get clogged up and the pump could continue pumping water such that it not only blows back up into kitchen sink, but actually cointinues blowing back and totally floods the place... *YUCK*.. what a messy mess you could have on your hands there!

Further, imagine you're not home when this happens during a bad storm... could be very bad all in all!

I would connect the pipe to the outside... should just need to drill a hole in the sill and install as expected. Be sure to pitch the pipe as it comes out of the sill and then , if possible, connect into another pipe that is pitched away from the home and to a DRYWELL in the yard or some other low spot.

Let us know what you think here...

MARK

Dec 2, 2008, 07:16 AM
    I understand the concern you raise - the only time the pump should kick in and pump is in January/February if the floor drain line freezes (assuming my number 4 above is right in that I can hook the 2" line into the sump pit and use it for overflow). The problem with draining out through the wall is that the only area I can get to to run the drain is right onto a concrete pad that you have to walk on. I will be creating an ice skating rink if I run it out the wall since this should only run when the drain line freezes. See attached image below with concrete pad crudely depicted. The area where it has to come out of the basement is by the dryer vent to the left.

Maybe I just need to take the existing drain that goes underground out he back of the house and hire a backhoe to come out and dig a trench 50 feet long, fill it 1/2 full of gravel and put in a perforated pipe. That is pricey because it is way out in the country and hiring a backhoe is costly.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump, where to drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I don't know much about sump pumps and would like some advice. Here's the background. I bought this house a month ago. It was built in 1993. I noticed the sump was draining under the deck and not away from the house. I pulled the boards off the side of the deck to investigate. There...

Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from...

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Sump pump, discharge drain and city drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've 2 problems. Problem 1: When it rains, there seem to be a lot of water discharging out from the overflow pipe of my sump pump plumbing on the outside. According to a neighbor, he says it looks like the water is just coming out from the overflow pipe whenever it rains. I've lived...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search