Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gargurlie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Pruning a cherry tree
    I have read differing opinions on when to prune a cherry tree. Some say summer to prevent certain disease and other say when the tree is dormant. Yet other opinions suggest in the spring after they first bud. I recently purchased this home with a mature cherry tree and not having see the fruit, I do not know what kind of cherry it is. However, I do want to keep the size and shape of it from getting out of control while continuing to produce fruit. Without having to call in an Arborist or professional to prune it, does anyone know, "really" know when the best time of year is to do this? I've become confused about it all. Thanks in advance for your help.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 10:07 AM

Pruning cherries in mid-winter is a bad idea. Pruning too early in winter can make trees vulnerable to diseases like silver-leaf and cankers. Cherry trees should be pruned during the growing season after bud break. Young trees in the spring so that they can be trained to desired shape, older trees can be pruned then as well or later after harvest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weeping Cherry Tree by Ran Su [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if this piece of artwork by Ran Su has any value. The label on the back of the piece states: House of Ran Su, Elmhurst, NY; it is titled "Weeping Cherry Tree" with the number 248 next to it. It also has the number 15168 at the top of the label. The front of the piece is...

Cherry tree [ 1 Answers ]

If I were to plant a sweet cherry tree would I have to plant 2 trees in order for pollination or will one tree self pollinate to get cherrys?

Crown pruning a birch tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a large (50-60 foot) birch tree on the southeast corner of my lot. It origionally had three trunks. I cut off the smallest (10" in diameter) last year as it grew out horizontally from the ground and was starting to block the dirveway. Now I have a 16" trunk and a 24" trunk that start...

Cherry Blossom Tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful cherry blossom tree in my backyard. The tree is located in somewhat of a bad spot though. It hangs right over my deck... with parts over my grill area and close to the edge of my house. Since I have no green thumb or idea I am posting here for some help. I have to cut a big...

View more questions Search