Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asuddreth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Outside fan not turning
    We have a ~10 yr old AG unit. Seven weeks ago, we noticed the outside unit was running, but the fan was not turning. Oil was added. That worked for several weeks. Last week, the fan stopped again. The tech replaced the fan motor this time. Now, 5 days later, the fan is not turning again. Could something else be wrong that is causing the fan motor to go out? I hate to keep calling the same tech if they are unclear on how to fix the issue.
    Any ideas?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
    If your compressor is running but the fan isn't, call out the guy who charged you to replace it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 08:45 PM
    Most likely, it's the run capacitor that's bad. Some AC's have separate run capacitors and others, like mine, are a dual round run capacitor, which assists the condenser fan (12.5 mfd) and the compressor motor (40 mfd). Very easy to check and replace either of these. A Fluke 16 Multimeter will be invaluable for the serious do-it-yourselfer. If you have a separate condenser fan run capacitor, then you also have a separate compressor motor run capacitor. Since run capacitors get a greater workout than start capacitors, they usually wear out faster. If your start capacitor starts to leak, get it replaced right away. They can blow up like a firecracker.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Best advice... call back the people that reploaced the motor. And do this before you have anyone else to look at it. If you have someone else look at it and they say it is a bad motor (which can happen, a new motor just goes bad) the company that put it in can say that the other people did something to it and there fore the warranty is invalid.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Jun 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
    If he put a new fan motor in and didn't replace the capacitor, he's not much of a Tech...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

Gas furnace not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

I've replaced the thermostat but my old one was so dated I couldn't see any significant number settings e.g. anticipator setting. What's that?

Knocks when turning [ 4 Answers ]

'93 Ford Taurus knocks when turning both left and right.

Turning off CD auto run [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help I want To turn off CD auto run. I'm using Windows XP Home; I've tried start>run>gpedit.msc but I just keep getting the message can not find file. Does anyone know if there's any other way to do it.?

View more questions Search