Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloriosa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Car accident w/o police report.
    Hi everyone, I'm seeking legal advice about a car accident I was involved in. I stopped in the parking lot (there weren't a lot of cars there). The car in front of me was pulling out and backed into me. The damage is not big, but there are some big scratches on my bumper and the front light. The drived told me that she was OK with me either calling the cops or she'd reimburse me for the damages. We exchanged information and decided not to call the cops. I went to the body shop and the amount of $500 was determined by obtaining an estimate of repair. I called her mom (that's who I was dealing with) and told her, I wanted to be nice so I asked her if she wanted me to go to the shop she recommends to see if it would be cheaper. I went to the one she recommended and they estimated it to be $600. So we agreed on $500. We agreed to sign the letter saying that she aggreeably reimburses me and that I got a full refund for the damages. She can't come to me, and she wants me to meet her brother who I've never met or spoken with. My questions is... is there anything illegal in what I am doing (asking for money w/o report). And the other question is, if she doesn't pay... what can I do to get reimbursed, by the way it happened over 2 months ago. Can I still call her insurance company w/o police report? Thank you in adance for your help. (sorry it took that long :) )
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 07:39 PM

You should have gotten a police report.

Even though this took place on private property, and no ticket would have been issued, you would at least have record of the accident.

Now you have nothing.

Good luck.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:42 PM
    It was not on private property, it was on a public parking lot.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 07:46 PM

Why is her brother wanting to meet with you?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gloriosa View Post
    It was not on private property, it was on a public parking lot.
    The streets are public, parking lots are not.

Some company or individual owns the parking lot, the public just uses it.

Either way, you don't have anything to prove there was even an accident much less that
    The other driver was responsible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2008, 07:50 PM

A parking lot run a govt agency or from a store/mall? The first, is public, the second is not.

Local laws vary, but generally if there is no injury, the polcie report may not be required.

Since she signed an agreement to pay, you would be able to sue her if she reneges.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Thank you for your responses.
    Her mother said that she has no problem reimbursing me, then she told me we'd meet over the weekend, and then she told me she got sick and all her personal problems along with it, she said it's hard for her to get to my neighborhood, she she asked her brother to meet with me and he'd give me the money and he'd sign everything. But I'm kind of afraid, I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2008, 07:51 PM

Just meet in a public place.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Well I can prove that she was there and the accident took place because I have more than 2 witnesses, plus she gave me her insurance info. If the accident didn't take place why would she give me her info. She didn't sign the letter yet, we are both supposed to sign it when we meet and she gives me money.
    The more important question is "am i doing anything illegal"? Can they have anything against me?
    Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 08:12 PM

It is normal you are not asking for "money" you are asking them to pay for the damages they did. If you asked for that plus 300 dollars not to call the police that is illegal.

But why can't they just mail you a money order or check ?
    But I would take someone with me, and meet in public place.

Nov 9, 2008, 08:20 PM
    She wanted to mail me the check, but she also wanted me to sign the paper saying that she doesn't owe me anything. So I said that I will sign the waiver only after the check has been cleared, so then she said that she'll give me cash. I thought about her sending me the money order, but I didn't really want to give her my address, and I don't have an office, I'm a traveling therapist. It's like neither of us trusts each other, with money or signing the paper and that's why we decided to meet.

Thank you for your responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident: no police report, what can I do? [ 5 Answers ]

If I did not file a police report, can I sue them or get anything out of them for the damage even if it is minor?

In accident where the police were not called; what can be done? [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident 2 days ago in Texas. Someone backed into my car from a parking space while I was driving through the parking lot of my apartments. We did not call the police. The man admitted to fault and gave me his name, number and allowed me to take a picture of his DL with my...

Car Accident No Police Report [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting...

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

View more questions Search