Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syl Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Slow drains
    Our house is 10 years old. The drains are getting slow. This includes the bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink and disposal.
    The plumbing is the PVC kind. What do you recommend to clean them out?

I throw ice in the disposal sometimes to clean it while it runs. This helps and I do not put any raw chicken skin in or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Syl

P.S. Since I posted this, I read similar problems/answers. Is there Drain-o or something similar that I can try that is safe? I have run hot water on occasion but it is not that hot.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 07:08 PM

Bath drains run slow due to body oil and hair getting caught on pop up assemblies and drains. Kitchens due to food and cooking oilbut when the entire house starts to drain slow we need to look at the main drain pipe. Do you have a clean out 18" inside or outside the foundation?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Are you on a septic sustem or city sewer? Tom
    syl Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 02:45 PM

We are on city sewer system.
    The cleanout is outside. The guest bathroom and tub sink drain well. I am concerned about the master bath sink and the kitchen disposal. The master bath shower drains well. What is safe to use in the disposal?

My husband has disconnected the bath sink a couple of times to clean the black stuff and hair out.

Thank you. Syl
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Hi Syl,
    I am no fan of putting harsh chemicals in your drain lines. Much better to snake the line.
    My husband has disconnected the bath sink a couple of times to clean the black stuff and hair out.
    Did he snake out the horizontal line in the wall? (See image)
    I am concerned about the kitchen disposal
    Again the solution would be to snake out the drain line in the wall, (see image).
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

Just installed a new tub and surround. When taking a shower it fills up with about 8 inches of water before it will drain. It drains very slow and then when it gets to a certain level it will go out. Is this a venting problem?

Slow Drains on some drains; others are fine [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Ranch on a basement built circa 1960. The house was completely gutted (new kitchen cabinets and appliances and all new bathrooms.. . hardwood refinished upstairs and re-sealed and the downstairs basement was re-finished as well) and remodeled inside before we bought it. After living in...

Slow drains [ 2 Answers ]

Pretty much every drain in my house is running slow or backs-up. Is there a central problem with the drainage or should I tackle each situation idependantly?

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

You've heard this one before - drains are slow, but I've got a twist. All the drains are slow: tub, sink, toilet... I can plung and they are fine for a week or so then slow again. I don't think it's roots, plunging shouldn't make a difference if that's the case. I used chemicals, same results. I've...

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

Being from TX with the recent heavy rains I have noticed our drains are now running slower that usual, we are on a septic system. Is this indicative of more serious problems or related to the recent high ground saturation?

View more questions Search