Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truckerg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Carbon: Organic matter
    What is Carbon? Why is it in all organic matter and what function does it provide?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 08:02 AM

Carbon is the chemical element that makes up the "backbones" of all the long chains in carbohydrates and fats. It's also the commonest element in rings of atoms found in proteins and molecules like DNA. Typically, carbon atoms have hydrogens hanging off them.

The reason carbon is a suitable material for life is its flexibility in joining with other atoms. It normally can form four bonds, either with four different hydrogens, carbons or other elements or sometimes two double bonds or one double bond and two singles. The only other element with similar options is silicon and so some science fiction writers have imagined worlds where silicon is the basis of life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am trying something SAFE and organic [ 6 Answers ]

I've been doing a lot of research on skin lightning products as well as reading this forum. I came to the conclusion that all products are shady and can be potentially dangerous in a couple of years. I've heard a lot of horror stories about products that have worked but overtime harmed the person's...

Organic Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the hydrolysis of 2-iodobutane give a single optical isomer as organic product whereas the hydrolysis of 2-methyl-2-iodohexane gives a mixture of 2 optical isomers?

Organic chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

How can 2-ethylcyclohexane be converted to 1-ethylcyclohexanol and 2-ethylcyclohexanol?

View more questions Search