Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1456 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Disconnecting a dishwasher
    Hello. I have a dishwasher in my apartment that I rarely use, and when I do use it, it doesn't seem to get the dishes clean. The reason I want to disconnect it, however, is because after 3-4 days of not being used, it begins to give off a nauseating smell-- as if there is something rotting. It's especially bothersome being as I have to cook in that area.

Here are pictures of the area under the sink. The washer is to the left of this area, with the white tube going down through a hole to connect to it.

Please direct me to a resource, or tell me what I need to do to disconnect it.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 06:00 PM

What smells is standing water in the bottom of the dishwasher and / or its pump. In addition, you may have standing water in the 7/8" discharge hose that goes up to G/D. You need to run DW frequently so you don't have odor problem.

To disconnect it:
    1. Remove drain from G/D. Plug the inlet.
    2. Disconnect 3/8" copper water supply. Get 3/8" compression plug and plug water outlet on angle stop.
    3. Unplug elec. Cord from receptacle.

If you want to completely remove entire DW than open door, unscrew 2 tiny screws that hold DW to countertop and slide DW out of its bay.

Nov 10, 2008, 09:46 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Will I be able to get rid of the standing water by doing this?

Also, what do I use to plug the inlet to the G/D?

And what is meant by "plug water outlet on angle stop"?
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 10:26 PM

Looking at the 2nd photo: I cannot see if you have single, dedicated, angle stop that feeds your D/W. If you have dedicated angle stop - than just turn it off. If you have double angle stop ( meaning it has 2 outlets out of single angle stops ) than you have to get plug and plug the D/W outlet.

Water is inside the bottom of D/W. You can take wet-vac and vacuum it out.

Plugging G/D outlet will be tricky since they don't sell plug designed for this purpose. But you can cut off the black house few inches away from G/D, kink it all the way, take s.s. clamp and clamp the kinked hose with the original hose. Or simply buy short 1/2" gal nipple, 1/2" cap, put cap on nipple, slide nipple into the hose and put s.s. clamp over it.

Nov 11, 2008, 11:14 AM

I'm still somewhat confused, so I've uploaded another two pictures.

I'm not sure what kind of angle stop this is. Do I still need the 3/8" compression plug?

Also, I don't think the apartment would take kind to me cutting the hose to the G/D. Is there another way of plugging it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Milo says,
    Water is inside the bottom of D/W. You can take wet-vac and vacuum it out.
    And you ask,
    Will I be able to get rid of the standing water by doing this?
    There is a sump at the bottom of the tub that the dirty water left in the hose drains back to after the pup shuts off. You will get rid of the standing water but not the remaining bacteria. You should vac or sponge out the sump and then fill it with bleach and let it set over night. Now cycle the DW to clear the sump amd sanitize the hose. Now you can go back and vac or sponge out the sump. Wipe it dry.
    I'm not sure what kind of angle stop this is. Do I still need the 3/8" compression plug?
    cut off the end with the compression nut leaving a inch or so and solder ion a 3/8" copper hard cap. You can pick one up at any plumbing store.
    I don't think the apartment would take kind to me cutting the hose to the G/D. Is there another way of plugging it?
    Sure is! Take a square of heavy plastic, (Shower liner membrane comes to mind) , and secure it over the disposal inlet using a hose clamp.
    Good luck and thanks for rating my answer, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 12:21 PM

1456: Thanks for additional photos. They clarify the issue.

Speedball is incorrect in his advice: you have double angle stop. If you close this angle stop, you will also cut off hot water supply to your sink faucet. That angle top needs to by capped off and turned back on to provide kitchen faucet with hot water.

Go to Home Depot, brass fitting section, and purchase 3/8" Compression cap. That will do.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Milos correct! I was in error about the valve. I corrected my error. But I went the extra mile on the sump, Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disconnecting a shower drain [ 6 Answers ]

I'm about to replace the shower pan but am at a loss on how to disconnect the drain from the existing pan. The picture attached show the drain with the cover removed. There are no screws that I can see. There appears to be a rubber gasket of some kind between the riser pipe and the flange. This...

Disconnecting electricity [ 2 Answers ]

I am gutting my kitchen in preparation for a remodel project being performed by a contractor. I need to know how to safely disconnect some hardwired electrical connections

Disconnecting Electricity [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving a manufactured home... I know that I must hire a licensed electrician to reconnect it to the new locations pedestal but do I need a licensed electrician to disconnect it from the old one after having the utility company shut the power off?

Aim disconnecting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am a university and am on a lan connection... about 2 or 3 weeks ago my aim started to disconnect me... at first it was just after I was idle for a long period, now if I am away from my computer for like 2 minutes I get disconnected... I have ran spy-bot, ad-aware, and my virus scanner......

View more questions Search