Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scalab Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Sewer gas smell in summer
    I have been in my townhouse for three years. Each time summer rolls around and I turn on my air conditioner, the house fills with the smell of sewer gas. This doesn't happen all winter long. I have had the sewer rodded all the out to the street. A camera was put into the line and I was told that there is a belly in one of the drainage pipes. I am assuming that the waste sits there and sends the odor back into the house. I have started to pour water down the trap in the basement and this helps for awhile. Is there something that I can use to neutralize the smell? (I have tried bleach, Lysol etc.) I can't afford to tear up the driveway, as was suggested. Thank you.
    Shirley
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Make sure that all of your traps are kept full of water, if you have a shower that you hardly ever use make sure a little water is run in it every few days. The water in the trap in the basement could be drying up faster than you are refilling it.
    There is a drain pan in the bottom of your evaporater coil, and I am assuming that it is sitting on top of your furnace, this pan drains off the condensate that builds up on the coils. This pan can get very cruddy and create a very bad smell, most of the time this is a musty smell other than a sewer smell. Cleaning this pan is almost always something that a technician will have to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell in the house for a couple weeks which is getting worse. The smell is not coming directly from any toilet or sink drain. The smell comes and goes. It can be very strong or weak. The basement will smell, and then the smell will work it's way through the walls (the return...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

A sewer smell started coming from the bathroom sink drain. I put bleach down it and its OK for a few hours and then its back. Could my vent pipe on the roof be clogged? Help!

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Sewer smell from toilet [ 6 Answers ]

My husband installed a new pvc flange on the toilet because the toilet was rocking. We have a year old house. Did he not fit or glue the flange properly to the soil pipe because it smells from the toilet . This is the 2nd time he pulled the toilet up in the past week because we thought it was the...

Sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

Oh Lord, I live in a 3 family home and I have there are 9 persons living in the home. (5 are tenants) and my family 4) anyway, lately, I have been smelling a sewerage smell... I am so embarrassed. I don't think I have a septic tank... we live in the bronx, ny... brick home. I read that I can...

View more questions Search