Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike Kelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Cat with a swollen eye and closed third eye
    I have a 1 1/2 year old short hair domestic cat (tojoe). About 2 weeks ago the third eye on his left eye started to close. Is now completely closed and swollen,the eye is swollen enough that he cannot close his outeye completely as well there is some discharge and bright red blood. When it first started I was told to use polysporin ophthalmic oitment twice a day as well as a cone to keep his paw away from the eye. It has become worse over the past week. When the third eye started to close, I could see no injury to the eye but I understand that does not mean there was no injury. Tojoe is eating and drinking well, as well as being playful. He does let me know about his eye bothering him but not to any great length.

I am very concerned he has lost or will lose sight in that eye as well as the swelling, it looks worse every day. Is there anything more I can do? It has been suggested I can use a warm tea bag 2 or 3 times a day to help bring down the swelling and discharge. I am on a very limited income because of my disibility and have to try first at home. Hopefully someone can help. I have several pictures of tojoe's eye if this can help.

Thank you,
    Mike Kelly
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Nov 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
    With the seriousness of your feline companion's situation I believe it wise at this junction for me not to guess or unwillingly mislead you in any way. It is extremely important to seek veterinary care when it comes to eye conditions. Failure to do so, as you mentioned, could result in the permanent loss of vision. Understanding your financial situation, the cost for the care of a loved one... Priceless. Payment plans are always an option.

Take-Care.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:38 AM

You MUST take your cat to the vet. Now! You should have done this two weeks ago! I am shocked. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering he has been going through. You wanted a cat, and now you must take care of it! I'm sorry, but I see no excuse for this kind of negligence, period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen all over [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this so here goes... my ankles, stomach, fingers and face have been very swollen or bloated. I've always been the type to retain water, but lately my ankles and heals hurts and feel very tight and sometimes I have pains in them. I look like I am 7 months pregnant (I'm...

Swollen vagina after sex.why? [ 2 Answers ]

Tonight I had a session with my boyfriend and right after I noticed that I was really swollen. This has never happened before... and I have no clue why. I am completely clean (No STDs) and only 20 years old. I don't know if prolapses occur this young.. Around the opening of my vagina there is a...

My kittenhas a swollen eye [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 day old abandon kittenhas a swollen eye I am feeding it through a bottle because its mum kept leaving it out of the box. Now one of its eyeshave swollen up and I don't know what to do? Some one help.

Swollen vagina lip [ 1 Answers ]

Last night while I was asleep my vagina felt irratated and ichy iwent to the bast room and when I looks my vagina was swollen the right lip was swollen and ichy it looked like an actual wollen lip... I got scared and told my husband and he put an ice pack on it for the swelling... but want to know...

View more questions Search