Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 03:42 AM
    simple harmonic oscillation problems
    I have a physic problems for university
    please help me if you could solve this problem.
    I really appreciate your help
    thank you

A weight which mass 1 kg, tied to a spring with spring constant (k) = 100 pi^2 N/m.
    The spring had a simple harmonic oscillation (in cosinus).
    At t(time)= 0 s, the displacement (x) is 0.032 m and the velocity is 0.24 pi m/s toward negative x axis.

Find:
    a) Maximum displacement(Amplitude) and phase constant
    b)The displacement function (as a function of time x(t))
    c)The acceleration when the displacement is -0.016 m

Thank you very much
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 02:06 PM

The equation of motion is of the form:

x = A sin(wt + C)

where A is the amplitude of motion, w is the frequency, and C is the phase shift. You know that for a spring & mass system w = sqrt(k/m). So to define the weight's motion you need to find A and C. You can do this with the two boundary conditions you were given - one of which has to do with the object's initial position (x at t=0) and the other with its initial veocity - you will need to differentiate the equation above with respect to time to get the equation of velocity. So you will have 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Can you take it from here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple harmonic motion inside earth [ 4 Answers ]

A shaft is drilled from brisbane to perth along the chord connecting these two towns. A trolley moves along the shaft only using gravity for its motion. There is no resistance to the motion. You are investigate the result of motion. You need to find: 1. acceleration 2. max and min velocity 3....

Pendulum's period during oscillation [ 4 Answers ]

Why is it that a pendulum's period will gradually increase at first and then gradually decrease to its initial value?

Simple Harmonic Motion [ 2 Answers ]

1. A light spiral spring is loaded with a mass of 0.05kg and it extends by 0.10m. Determine: the period of small vertical oscillation if the value of g is 10m/s-2

Oscillations - velocity of simple harmonic motion [ 3 Answers ]

Sir / Madam I have adoubt in the folwing section of finding the velocity of a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)... I have encircled the place of doubt I have attached a picture file my doubt is how to get a w cos wt from d (a sin...

Equations related to simple harmonic motion [ 7 Answers ]

This is a really urgent question! If x=Acos2 pie ft, then how does f affect x?

View more questions Search