Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    I'm not sure how many Christains would consider any other religion as "equally right."

Even if an alien race professed faith in the same God, they wouldn't have the Bible. How could you define the Christian God, and whether or not someone worships him, outside the confines of the Bible?
    The Bible is a message sent from the creatorto the descendants of Adam.
    Other equally useful messages could be sent relevant to the descendants of intelligent beings. If indeed this is an impossibility I fail to see where the difficulty lies.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Other equally useful messages could be sent relevant to the descendants of intelligent beings. If indeed this is an impossibility I fail to see where the difficulty lies.
    Sure, that's possible, but not what I see as the problem. The question was would earth Christians accept them as "equally right."

If Zordark from planet Thasel lands tomorrow and tells you that he worships the same God as you, only he doesn't have a bible, instead he's got the Fastal--holy book of the Thaselites. Do you BELIEVE he worships the same God? How do you even compare?

That's what I mean by: How do you define the Christian God outside of the confines of the bible.
    -

Jun 19, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Starman,

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said that the bible is not relevant. I am merely pointing out over the years. The higher church members are the ones that decided what books were put into the bible, and what were taking out. THIS IS A FACT. You telling somebody that they are rejecting the bible. Is unfair because just because there are concerns on whether we have the whole bible or not, or that over the years and several translations later that the meaning has changed.
    Joe
    Perhaps the misunderstanding is based on your misunderstanding of what I am saying.
    True, the Bible might be considered to contain good advice and be used as a guide to better living. So I wasn't referring to anyone rejecting the Bible in that total sense. I was referring to the rejection of it as being inspired which you obviously do as evidenced by the way you describe it as a mere prioduct of human manipulation.

These are your own words as posted in post #31
    Just because somebody points out that there have been lots of books taken out of the bible and some put in to advance certain beliefs and powers of the church, is a fact.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
    This Post Has Been Temporarily Interruppted For An Argument Brake... please Stand By.
    -

Jun 19, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    This Post Has Been Temporarily Interruppted For An Argument Brake...please Stand By.

What do you call your off topic interference-a thread topic enhancer?
    -

Jun 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Sure, that's possible, but not what I see as the problem. The question was would earth Christians accept them as "equally right."

If Zordark from planet Thasel lands tomorrow and tells you that he worships the same God as you, only he doesn't have a bible, instead he's got the Fastal--holy book of the Thaselites. Do you BELIEVE he worships the same God? How do you even compare?

That's what I mean by: How do you define the Christian God outside of the confines of the bible.
    Simple. I would compare both books on a moral basis.
    If they do not contradict one another but are totally harmonious in terms of morality and the desription of our creator's personality, then as a Christian I would be forced to accept him as as fellow worshipper of the same God but not a Christian since he obviously hasn't inherited Adamic sin and Christ did not die in his behalf because of it.

If on the other hand I find glaring contradictions in these areas then I would be forced to conclude that he does not worship the same God.

BTW
    He would not need conversion to Christianity in order to worship correctly since Christianity would always remain irrelevant to his kind in the sacrificial sense.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 01:17 AM
    Starman,

It is a fact that certain books were chosen to remain in the bible and certain books were not. How hard is that to understand. Does that mean that they are not God inspired. Never said that. The original question was what do you believe would happen to religion if we found out that there is other life elsewhere. I personally believe it would strengthen the belief in God.

Joe
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 20, 2006, 03:37 AM
    Or and we miss the obvious here, There would be a religious war in space just as here on Earth! How sad is that!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Believing in something other than the bible is not equal to outright rejection of the bible.
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jun 20, 2006, 06:36 AM
    There have been several posts since mine (30). Knowing there are books left out of the Bible in no way says I reject the Bible. I have read the Bible but do not claim to be an expert on it.
    Saying there is life on other planets would not be rejecting the Bible. God may have different plans and a different book of words for other life forces.
    God being the creator of all can create what He wants. God created us, spiritualism was in the beginning. Then came religion.
    Finding other religions on other planets would probably be like the different religions on earth. Some people can coexist with other religions, cultures etc
    And some will not tolerate anothers belief.
    God is in ALL of us, he is pure love, which makes that our basis. Maybe this is just the beginners planet. When we reach the last, it will all be good.

Hey, this is just a thought, do not mistake it for rejecting God or the Bible or
    Being an expert on anything. Just a thought.
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Starman,

I personally believe it would strengthen the belief in God.

Joe

True, on the one hand but on the other are the evolutionists who would see it as evidence that Godless evolution does occur on other worlds and that the earth is not special as claimed by Christians and other religions. I have repeatedly come across this evolutionist opinion both in print and on TV.

BTW
    I never said I didn't undertsand that certain books were chosen while others were not. That's basic information.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 10:19 AM
    I agree with you: the earth is not special as claimed by Christians and other religions.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 20, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    ...evolutionists..would see it as evidence that...evolution does occur on other worlds and that the earth is not special....
    I think as long as the other life found is not human--as in same DNA makeup--Earth will remain special. If other humans are found throughout the universe, then there will certainly be some questions.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 03:31 PM
    <thought type=tangent; style=out there>
    What if they were just like us? Maybe they are just as we are but Satan did not intervene with their world... of He did but the Thaselites Adam did not succumb to His initial temptation. God said that, after that, He gave this world to Satan... maybe we're only special because we are the world that succumbed (yeah succumbed, not succame... I looked it up lol) to Satan's initial temptation.</thought> (gotta love computer geek humor)

Anyway, awesome stuff... good points made on either side.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Remember the television show SLIDERS. It was pretty cool. They transported themselves through a dimension, where they would land in a different world, still earth. They would have different societies and different outcomes and different ways of life. Imagine if so many different realities and different times and outcomes existed in different dimensions. I love sci-fi.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Never saw it but its an awesome concept... pretty wild to imagine. Every decision/action throughout the history of man could have stemmed a new dimension... the possibilities are endless...
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 05:58 PM
    I think as long as the other life found is not human--as in same DNA makeup--Earth will remain special. If other humans are found throughout the universe, then there will certainly be some questions.
    I agree that the earth need not lose its special status simply because other intelligent life is found on another planet. If other humans are found?
    What questions do you think those would be?
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Remember the television show SLIDERS. It was pretty cool. They transported themselves through a dimension, where they would land in a different world, still earth. They would have different societies and different outcomes and different ways of life. Imagine if so many different realities and different times and outcomes existed in different dimensions. I love sci-fi.
    I'm a sci fi fan myself and find the concept fascinating though seriously at odds with Christianity. Actually there are scientists out there right now who are thoroughly convinced that such alternate realities are inevitable based on there concept of an infinite space where all possibilities must play themselves out.

The discovery of alternate realities where everything takes place in a different ways ad infinitum would definitely be a faith-destroying influence since it would be totally incompatible with the Ransom sacrifice. Not that I consider it a possibility. Only that if it were possible then its impact would be far more detrimental to religion than discovery of life on another planet.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
    That's a really interesting point, Starman...

I can see your point as to how it would be detrimental to religion. I suppose this is my take on that so far...

If every possibility of my life were being played out simotaneously in different dimensions, then, in at least one dimension, I have become a Satanist.

So, either I would/should be held responsible for that dimension or I am, in some way, separated from that life... which would mean I had infinite souls.

And if such thing is occurring, what or how does our conscious decide which path to follow? Do I have infinite consciousness following every possible path? Where is the connection?
    -

Jun 20, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    <thought type=tangent; style=out there>
    What if they were just like us?? Maybe they are just as we are but Satan did not intervene with their world... of He did but the Thaselites Adam did not succumb to His initial temptation. God said that, after that, He gave this world to Satan... maybe we're only special because we are the world that succumbed (yeah succumbed, not succame... i looked it up lol) to Satan's initial temptation.</thought> (gotta love computer geek humor)

Anyway, awesome stuff... good points made on either side.
    Perhaps the vast unimaginable distances between stellar systems and the hazards of space travel were placed there by our creator in order to prevent the contamination of faithful creatures via association with those who have fallen such as ourselves. But returning to the main question, such a discovery would cause envy. It would be a humiliation in a way and we would probably have to reexamine the reasons we were susceptible and they were not. Thoughts of preferential treatment would probably surface and there might even be some who would feel better if these other races vanished. Remember the envy of Cain toward his brother Abel simply because Abel had God's approval.

BTW
    I am finishing a novel at present which touches briefly on that concept.
    I call these creatures who have not been contaminated by sin the Pristines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bi religious marriages. [ 8 Answers ]

I am a Christian guy from the UK working in Pakistan. I have met a Muslim girl and we have fallen in love and would like to get married. Is this possible in Pakistan?

Intelligent Design & Evolution [ 190 Answers ]

Ok I know that this is a contentious issue, but I believe that it needs to be talked about. This has been mentioned in other threads, but I thought that it was time for a thread of its own. The main problem that I have is how can Intelligent Design (ID) be taught as a SCIENCE when it is based...

Intelligent design [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have a question . Please help me on it: Stephen jay Gould thought the best way to argue against intelligent design as the origin of modern flora and fauma was to focus on such oddities of nature as a whale fetus's developping and then dissolving a comlpete set for teeth, in contrast...

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

View more questions Search