Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 09:39 PM

Sounds like it's time to put some marbles in the fuse box, so when it's opened a bunch of them fall on the floor. Only you will know to put something under it when you open it.

Lowe's has a wireless motion detector that's designed to mount outside, but it's perfectly happy mounted inside.

The motion part is battery powered. The receiver plugs in the wall and you plug in a lamp and/or turn on the chime.

So alarm goes off, door of box opens. Marbles spill. You go downstairs and see who is picking up the marbles.

How to load the marbles:
    Use a piece of file folder paper. Fold on one side on the non-hinge side.
    Fold a little at the bottom so, marbles fall onto the ledge.
    Close door partially and insert marbles. Pull cardboard out.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 05:18 AM
    How did we get from smokeless grill to marbles? Only here at AMHD!

Anyone missing any marbles? Kiss is using them.

Kiss, I did not know you had a mischievous streak. I like to be a bit more proactive by making certain surfaces live, but cleaning up the dead bodies got to be a bit problematic. But one thing is clear, they only screw with something once.

Meriden, the National Grid is a utility company that manages the transmission of power in some New England states, and New York, and has no jurisdiction over building wiring.

If you review their requirements, they refer to on page 24 to the authority having jurisdiction, with installation and/or connection of the electric service to a building, and approval from the municipal authorities enforcing the Code, and that's it.

The State you reside in legislates licensing of tradesmen, and who is allowed to do what. In most states, only owners of single family homes that reside in that home are allowed to do their own electrical work. Any electrical work done in a multifamily dwelling must be done by a licensed electrician.

If your user name means that you live in Meriden, Connecticut, I assure you, this is the case, as I am a certified electrical inspector by the Ct Dept of Public Safety.

While Don makes some good common sense points about who can have what connected to which meter, I doubt he can find anything in the NEC about this. The only reference to occupants is NEC Section 240.24 (B), that states that occupants shall have ready access to their fuses/circuit breakers, with exceptions to large facilities with on site management.

BTW, NEC stands for National Electric Code, which each state adopts into law, and usually modifies with minor but significant changes to suit their needs.

How common usage loads are metered can be dictated by state or even local city housing codes, and/or agreements between owners and tenants.

If your in Ct, then I assure you the landlord has no right doing electrical work.

Otherwise check with your state's building, code enforcement, professional licensing, or consumer protection department. They should be able to direct you to the entity that governs rental apartments and common areas.

So. Looks like you have more issues than just wondering how the breaker for your smokeless grill is getting turned off.
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:59 AM

Mischevios streak: Naah

Just when a couple of girls decided to put a padllock on my locker back in high school. I went into the machine shop and fabricated a key (knew that lock inside and out) and placed it on their locker. Our lockers had combination dials integral to the doors. Unbeknownst to me the key was now locked inside. One of the best laughs I ever had.

Now, with that same lock, I provided friends the means to open and switch similar locks placed on lockers, so one day someone's key didn't work anymore.

Safecracking, another skill I learned on my own in high school. It takes me about 20 minutes to open a simple (left-right-left) combination lock or safe. Started messing with safes and combo locks in grade school. Opened them too. It was just one of those things to do when you had lots of time on your hands and computers didn't exist. I opened one for a millionaire's mother. They couldn't find anyone else.

BTW: The marble thing I learned somewhere. You host a party and you fll the medicine cabinet with marbles. Nosy people look in the medicine cabinet. You find the nosy ones by loading the medicine cabinet with marbles.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 10:50 AM

If you have random breakers tripping, then there is a problem and a qualified person needs to service the apartment's electrical services.

NEC stands for the National Electrical Code. It is the standard rule book (so to speak) for electrical services.

Your local community can have "overrides" to the NEC code .

By NEC definition, common services for an apartment complex cannot be put on a tenants meter. It is the responsibility of the Landlord to provide a separate meter for electrical services of common areas.

I wish I were home where I have my reference books but I'm not. I'll be home either this evening or early tomorrow. I'll get the cites from the NEC code for you then.

Right now, the toy people that I'm baby-sitting for are napping which proves once again that there is a God!
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Nov 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    mischevios streak: Naah

Just when a couple of girls decided to put a padllock on my locker back in high school. I went into the machine shop and fabricated a key (knew that lock inside and out) and placed it on their locker. Our lockers had combination dials integral to the doors. Unbeknownst to me the key was now locked inside. One of the best laughs I ever had.

Now, with that same lock, I provided friends the means to open and switch similar locks placed on lockers, so one day someone's key didn't work anymore.

Safecracking, another skill I learned on my own in high school. It takes me about 20 minutes to open a simple (left-right-left) combination lock or safe. Started messing with safes and combo locks in grade school. Opened them too. It was just one of those things to do when you had lots of time on your hands and computers didn't exist. I opened one for a a millionaire's mother. They couldn't find anyone else.

BTW: The marble thing I learned somewhere. You host a party and you fll the medicine cabinet with marbles. Nosy people look in the medicine cabinet. You find the nosy ones by loading the medicine cabinet with marbles.

Don't go to parties at your house!! That's a riot. :eek:

Nov 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
    With respect to serving common areas of multi-family residences.

2008 NEC #210.25 (A) & (B):

"(A) Dwelling unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multi-family dwelling or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space."

I cannot find documentation supporting the need for a licensed electrician doing the work so I believe that that requirement was put forward by one of the Virginia Beach Electrical Inspectors. I just can't prove it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

"(A) Dwelling unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multi-family dwelling or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space."

Well done Don.

Glad you found the appropriate sections to substantiate your advice.

I probably should not have doubted you this time.

Keep it up.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 03:06 PM

Mr500:

Don't go to parties with me your liable to be confronted by my friend's boa constrictor happily hanging out around the bathroom mirror above the sink. Yep, it was unexpected.

KISS
    Meriden Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    How did we get from smokeless grill to marbles? Only here at AMHD!

Anyone missing any marbles? Kiss is using them.

Kiss, I did not know you had a mischievous streak. I like to be a bit more proactive by making certain surfaces live, but cleaning up the dead bodies got to be a bit problematic. But one thing is clear, they only screw with something once.

Meriden, the National Grid is a utility company that manages the transmission of power in some New England states, and New York, and has no jurisdiction over building wiring.

If you review their requirements, they refer to on page 24 to the authority having jurisdiction, with installation and/or connection of the electric service to a building, and approval from the municipal authorities enforcing the Code, and that's it.

The State you reside in legislates licensing of tradesmen, and who is allowed to do what. In most states, only owners of single family homes that reside in that home are allowed to do their own electrical work. Any electrical work done in a multifamily dwelling must be done by a licensed electrician.

If your user name means that you live in Meriden, Connecticut, I assure you, this is the case, as I am a certified electrical inspector by the Ct Dept of Public Safety.

While Don makes some good common sense points about who can have what connected to which meter, I doubt he can find anything in the NEC about this. The only reference to occupants is NEC Section 240.24 (B), that states that occupants shall have ready access to their fuses/circuit breakers, with exceptions to large facilities with on site management.

BTW, NEC stands for National Electric Code, which each state adopts into law, and usually modifies with minor but significant changes to suit their needs.

How common usage loads are metered can be dictated by state or even local city housing codes, and/or agreements between owners and tenants.

If your in Ct, then I assure you the landlord has no right doing electrical work.

Otherwise check with your state's building, code enforcement, professional licensing, or consumer protection department. They should be able to direct you to the entity that governs rental apartments and common areas.

So. looks like you have more issues than just wondering how the breaker for your smokeless grill is getting turned off.
    Thank you "tkrussell"... Yes, there are many other issues involving my electricity. The investigator found there was shared metering going on: the entire basement, back hall, front porch, back yard light and outside outlet were all on my electric. Because he would not incur any expenses (threatened me he would raise my rent if this happened) he got rid of most of basement lights and backyard light/outlet and the rest went on his niece's electric; which leads me to believe the breaker issue is part of retaliation on her boyfriend's part. I have lived here two years and never had a breaker go once; now all of a sudden, rooms and outlets are off for no reason. I did find out it is not my indoor grill, it uses approx. 10.83 amps. By the way, I live in New York State and Meriden is just the name of my street. Thanks for your imput.
    Meriden Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

I cannot find documentation supporting the need for a licensed electrician doing the work so I believe that that requirement was put forward by one of the Virginia Beach Electrical Inspectors. I just can't prove it.
    Don... thank you for the information. As I told "tkrussell," the shared metering was proved and he has already taken care of the areas in question. The only thing still on my electric is one front hall light and the light above my washer/dryer in basement. National Grid told me they do not mandate that a licensed electrician does the work, just that it is done. My landlord does not want me to have them come back to re-inspect the work; yeah right, in his dreams! After all the breaker issues, I do not trust him. I know nothing about electricity and/or breakers except what I have been told... when they trip, they do not necessarily go all the way off. Mine are completely turned off and after his inspection the other night, he admitted there were no problems with the lines but refuses to admit it is the guy upstairs. I am just glad it is not my indoor grill - I love that thing! Thanks again Don for your imput.

Nov 13, 2008, 10:11 AM

Meriden,

As TK stated earlier, the National Grid is a Utility type service. Utilities are governed by their own rules.

Their jurisdiction ends at the "Service Entry Point" into a residence. From the Service Entry Point throughout the residence it is the Jurisdiction of the NEC Code and the local governing agency having jurisdiction over electrical work in your area.

A simple phone call to your local city, township or county will be able to tell you who has the responsibility to do the work on the complex's electrical systems.

Again, because you are talking about random electrical failures and work being done by a questionably qualified person, you may have a real safety concern.

You can always put a call in to a City Fire Marshall or Fire Inspector and follow their suggestions.

My brother was a Fire Marshall in the West Side of the Bronx, NYC. He always wanted a call before there was a fire and people got hurt of died as a result of the fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker didn't Trip [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old home. The bathroom outlet is a GFCI outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 amp ARC FAULT BREAKER. Today my wife plugged her hair blowdryer and the base of the cord lit up like an arc welder. This lasted for 5-8 seconds before the cord completely melted and the fireworks...

Circuit breakers [ 6 Answers ]

If I have a main disconnect at the pole what kind of breaker box should I put in my quanset To replace the old fuse box,a main lug or main breaker. This is also part my shop. Thanks for any answers, can omeone please help??

Circuit breakers [ 16 Answers ]

I purchased and ready to install a new diahwasher. The instructions call for a 15 amp circuit breaker. The current breaker is a 10 amp breaker solely for the dishwasher. Can I use the 10 amp or should I change the breaker to 15 amp? How difficult would it be to change?

Circuit breaker failed to trip [ 2 Answers ]

I made a big error today on wiring a new circuit. I pulled 2 cables (for 2 circuits) back to the consumer panel and then connected the wrong cable. The cable that I connected was stripped at the other end but not yet connected to anything. When I went to inspect it, I tugged on it and there was one...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

View more questions Search