Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    17844 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
    File tax return on B2 visa (staying long time but not working)
    Hi all,

Here is the scenario: A person has spent a lot of time in the US over the past two years, but is here on a B2 tourist visa (granted for a year at a time as co/habitant partner). The person stays with someone who lives and work here on a E2 visa. Last year she was here around 190 days. She does not work and had no income here but a little in her home country. Nothing is reported here in the US on W2 etc.

Questions:
    IF she meets the substantial presence test she needs to file a tax return and pay for her worldwide income?

IF she is does not meet the test she does not need to file anything at all?

If she needs to file, and she is 6 months late, what will happen?

What will happen if she just does not file at all but is here say 200 days a year for a couple of years, but has no income here, no w2 etc, no social security number etc. Would IRS automatically find out the number of days she was here from immigration and that she qualifies the substantial presence and then order immigration to stop her when she enter the country?

Many thanks for your kind advice, really appreciate you taking time!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 11:09 PM

On B2 your days in the U.S. count toward residency. If you meet substantial Presence Test (SPT), you are resident for tax purpose. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

You must declare your worldwide income and file tax return if you income exceeds the filing requirement.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I must disagree with MukatA on this.

Even though you have met the Substantial Presence Test, you clearly spent time in your home country as a non-resident alien. This fact makes you ineligible to file a resident alien tax return (Form 1040).

IF you must file, you would file as a dual-status alien.

However, if there is NO U.S.-sourced income, there is NO REQUIREMENT to file a tax return AT ALL.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 08:17 PM

In the first year that you are treated as a U.S. resident under the substantial presence test you would be considered a dual status alien. However, after that first year if you continue to meet the substantial presence test you are treated as a resident alien for the full year and do not file as a dual status alien until the last year that you meet the substantial presence test.

See Substantial Presence Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does I need to file the tax return with L1-B VISA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The background of my wife and I is: I am working for MMM company on L1-B Visa from Aug 17, 2007. My L1-B status will expire on July 9, 2008 and it may be extended to July 9, 2009. I get payroll from MMM company's subsidiary company in China. So I get china payroll

What do I file for j-1 visa tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear tax experts I worked in the USA last 2007 winter for 3 months with a j-1 visa. I would like to know what forms I need to file to IRS so I can get my refund, or if its not case, to pay the amount I owe to them. Im am non dependent and don't have anyone who depends on me (child, etc). ...

Tax Return staying More than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA more than 6 months and less than 12 months (1 Year) then I will get the...

Tax Return staying less than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA less than 6 months then I will get the money that I paid for Taxes please...

Tax Return staying less than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA less than 6 months then I will...

View more questions Search