Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andeeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Stainless Steel kitchen sink mildew
    Our new sink drain (not the disposal side) is over run with mildew in the seal and stainless drain insert? We did not leave any standing water or dishes in it. I have treated it with Clorox/stainless cleaners and nothing is working? Do you have any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 07:45 PM

What seal do you refer? There is no viseable seal on a drain, may a pull out plug. Try mixing 1/4 cup table salt with 1/4 cup baking soda and dump in the drain followed with a cup of vinegar. Let it soak all night and tomorrow dump a bucket of really hot water with a cup of fresh bleach. Let me know in a month if its still clean.
    Andeeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 12:57 PM

When I refer to the seal--I mean-the strainer basket side. The mildew has gotten in to the silicone or putty used to attach this to the drain and sink. It looks more like putty than silicone actually. Also there are signs of mildew on the removeable drain basket as well. Does that make more sense. I will try your advice with the salt/baking soda and vinegar tonight. Thanks! Maybe my strainer basket needs to be removed and re-sealed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut stainless steel [ 5 Answers ]

How do I cut holes in a stainless steel sink?

Under Stainless Steel Sink Insulation Smell [ 7 Answers ]

I just had my kitchen redon a couple weeks back and realized that the insulation under the sink smells something like burnt plastic. Is this normal and is there a recommended way of getting rid of this smell?

Drill Hole in Stainless Steel Sink [ 30 Answers ]

How do I drill a 3/4" hole in a stainless steel kitchen sick?

Mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

There is an mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink. I have tried putting baking soda, lemons and bleach down it but nothing has worked. It seems like it is mainly coming from the garbage disposal side of the sink. On some days it is stronger than others, but now I have to keep the drain caps...

View more questions Search