Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2006, 05:29 AM
    MS Excel Protection options
    I have a HUGE Excel File of 10 Worksheets with usernames and passwords.

Until now I've just had the whole file password protected.

Since only a couple columns in each worksheet are private, I'd like to "hide" the columns so that a password must be entered to see them.

Is this possible?

I've played with the Protection options under Tools and also under Format Cells, but nothing is getting what I want.

... also is it possible to put password protection on selected worksheets?

Thanks!
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 16, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Hi Rick,

Occasionally friends send me a spreadsheet for a quiz that is password protected and they want to know the answers, being a lazy so-and-so I take the easy option and use a password remover.

There is more than one program that removes the protection on these spreadsheets so beware.

Yes, you can stop the average user from accessing the cells/sheets with protection and hide sheet cmds and then protect the workbook.

Protection:

To protect a sheet from view.

Format, Sheet, Hide
    Tools, Protection, Protect Workbook.

This prevents the average user from realising that a sheet is missing.

To protect certain cells/columns/rows from view.

Select the column/cells/rows
    Format, column/cells/rows, Hide
    Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet.

But remember protected with a password may not be all that "private" to a determined person.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Thanks, colbtech. Before I go trying this, please clarify. Can you remove the password protection from the attached file? If so, how?
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip secret.zip (10.5 KB, 271 views)
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 16, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Hi Rick,

The program I use requires the ability to open the file. However, where there's a will there's a way. I will see what I can do, the password is greater than 5 chars though.

Col
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Rick,
    Google Lost Password Excel and you will find several solutions to cracking the password.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Well, the first one I tried the demo of resulted in

[Sorry, the file you uploaded is encrypted by Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider and is not supported.]

Good!

How available are tools that can bust the MS Strong Cryptographic?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox Tab Options [ 14 Answers ]

Dog-gonnit. I too frequently fat finger "close other tabs" when I meant to click "close tab" - or vice versa - since they're right next to each other! Is there any way to change the order of the options shown when I right click on a tab? Thanks!

WIndows XP log on Options [ 13 Answers ]

I'm completely new to this forum an hope to find some help here. I have recently purchased a used PC with pre installed wondows XP. The PC actually comes from a professional company with network accesibility. The log on procedure allows only the system administrator to log on. I want to change...

Invisalign-other options? [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone used it? What do you think? I had braces for yrs, wore the head gear, retainers and all that. Now at 23 my teeth are shifting again and I have to see an orthodontist-I refuse to get braces , and I've heard about this. Any other options? Thanks! :D

Internet options [ 2 Answers ]

Windows xp sp 2 Under the connection setting in the internet options where you can chose to auto detect settings mine keeps changing to the prox server setting by itself and then pages don't seem to work right I change it to auto seems all right till I am online again then it has chnaged to...

What are my options? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B.A. in accounting and business (1996). I currently work for $11 an hour in the medical field processing Medicare/Medicaid claims for a private doctor. I would like to earn more money but am uncertain of the possibilities. Do you have any suggestions? I have considered starting my own...

View more questions Search