Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StEwArT_S56 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Cannot Open The Control Pannel Display
    I got a computer game for Windows XP, and inorder to play it, I need to change my display to 32 bits
    When I tried to open the Display, nothing happened, the hour glass came up for 2 seconds, then it went away
    There were no messages that poped up
    What can I do?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 8, 2008, 10:45 AM

I would look at the game and see if you need an different video card. Some games require as more advanced video card that what normally comes with your PC.

If you no loger have the box, or the manual that came with the game you can look it up online and see if it requires an advanced video card or list the game here and I will try and find out what you need.

Nov 8, 2008, 10:49 AM

I just got the trial version of the game, and when I go to click it, it just pops up that I have to change the rendering to 32 bits in the display

Nov 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StEwArT_S56 View Post
    I just got the trial version of the game, and when i go to click it, it just pops up that I have to change the rendering to 32 bits in the display
    What game is it?

Nov 8, 2008, 01:25 PM

Does it really matter, the point is that I can't open my display stetting
    Please stop revolving around what game it was, I just need to know how to open the DISPLAY
    McWilliams58 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2008, 02:24 PM

You should be able to right click on the desktop, then choose 'Properties' from the context menu. What tabs are displayed depends on the hardware but there should be a Settings tab that can normally be used to change the display properties.

Nov 8, 2008, 03:10 PM

That doesn't work either
    I can't access the desktop properties

Nov 9, 2008, 09:59 AM
    First, be sure that you are logged in with an account that has administrator privileges. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Display (if using classic view) or Appearance and Themes then Display (if using Category View). Either one should bring up the display properties and allow the changes needed.

Nov 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

It, doesn't, that was the whole point of the topic

Nov 9, 2008, 11:55 AM

Again; I think you don't have the proper video card for the game, that is why you are unable to do anything. It's obvious that your video card does not support what you are trying to do.

You want help, but you are not willing to all the elements of the problem. It's like saying my car won't go, but you refuse to tell us if there is gas in the tank.

Tell us the game and the version, tell us what video card your system has, what operating system, etc.

Nov 9, 2008, 02:05 PM

The game is Spore, but the relevance is that the display won't open
    It doesn't matter what card I have, the point is that it should always open
    It's not, so HOW CAN I GET IT TO OPEN??

Nov 10, 2008, 09:32 PM

Check the display and monitor properties using the Device Manager. There are several ways to open Device Manager. One is to Right Click on My Computer, select Manage, then click Device Manager. Be sure there are no exclamation marks by any of the devices. Then click on Display Adapters. You may want to post the type listed and check it against the list of XP supported devices. The monitor type can also be checked. You can also check for updates for both of these devices from the manufacturer. That may solve your problem.

Nov 10, 2008, 10:13 PM
    The game is Spore, but the relevance is that the display wont open
    It doesn't matter what card I have, the point is that it should always open
    It's not, so HOW CAN I GET IT TO OPEN????
    Copied right from the EA Store Website, here are the official Spore System Requirements:

FOR WINDOWS XP

2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    512 MB RAM
    A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
    At least 6 GB of hard drive space

FOR WINDOWS VISTA

2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    768 MB RAM
    A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
    At least 6 GB of hard drive space

When launching the game, some Microsoft Vista users may receive a warning about running out of address space along with a link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base. If you see this message, it is recommended that you follow the instructions and go to the website listed in the message to update your system.

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:

Intel Integrated Chipset, 945GM or above.
    2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.
    768 MB RAM

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series
    9500, 9600, 9800
    X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
    X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
    2400, 2600, 2900,
    3650, 3850
    NVIDIA GeForce series
    FX 5900, FX 5950
    6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
    7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
    8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
    Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
    GMA 950, GMA X3000, GMA X3100

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slowly. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts, such as the 945GU, GML, and GMS, will not perform adequately.

Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn't listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
    I got a computer game for Windows XP, and inorder to play it, I need to change my display to 32 bits
    When I tried to open the Display, nothing happened, the hour glass came up for 2 seconds, then it went away
    There were no messages that poped up
    What can I do?
    If you can't click START, then CONTROL PANEL, then DISPLAY, then SETTINGS, you very likely have a virus or some nasty bots. Do you use a good up to date anti-virus program and a good anti-spyware program?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to control image display/layout on a website? [ 4 Answers ]

I built a site using MS FrontPage. I've posted many family photos which display differently when viewed from different computers. How do I get the layout to remain consistent regardless of PC or monitor size? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Andy

The Display icon does not open in the control panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a way to fix a problem with the display function in the control in Windows XP. I have searched all over the web for a solution. To date none of the suggestions have worked. I suspect that some spyware may have corrupted my ability to change the appearance of my display. ...

Display in control panel will not open [ 1 Answers ]

When I click on the Display icon in the control panel (I want to change my desktop theme... really sick of the cow pasture), all I get is this pop-up message: An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl",Display" It...

Cannot open "display" in my control panel. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi' I have always been able to figure out how to fix my problems and now I have one I can't seem to fix without reinstalling windows xp. I cannot open my display in the control panel or even in my command prompt. It doesn't give me an error message or anything it just doesn't open. I need some...

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search