Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
    My Lia still wakes at 4 months
    Hey there guys; quick inquiry! My little Lia who is now 4 months old still wakes about 4 times during the night to nurse. Is this okay... normal? I understand that breast milk is digested faster than formula but I've read so much saying that "baby should be able to sleep through night by now" "baby shouldn't get hungry as fast now" I don't have a problem with her waking at night because she falls right back to sleep but I was just wanting to see what you experienced nursing moms think. Also, during the day she still nurses every hour to 2 hours and will refuse to take the second breast if offered but want to eat again in an hour or so. Again, this doesn't bother me but it contradicts what I've read. I also don't want it to affect my supply? Thanks guys and please let me know your thoughts, experiences, advice! :D
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 08:02 PM

If it was recent, I would say consider a possible growth spurt, but since it seems she has done this for some time you might look at a few others possibilities.

How long is she going on the one side? If you can get her to go a little longer, she will get more of the hindmilk and it might hold her over a little longer between feeds. Sometimes, too, they may take the other breast in a different position. Cradle hold, for example on one side, but football hold on the other.

Is she definitely hungry each time or do you think she may just want to suck? Does she use a pacifier? At night, maybe try to see if a couple of the feeds she will be content to suck on a pacifier instead of picking her up to feed her.

Her frequent feeds will keep your supply going, but you do want to be sure she is getting her fill at each feed. Some babies are pretty efficient eater and will be done in 10 minutes, but they usually will go a longer stretch between feedings. When she is on, try gently massaging around the breast once in awhile or breast compressions... slide your hand firmly from the top of the breast down towards the areola without disrupting her latch. This can help the movement of more milk and the slight shift of the nipple in her mouth may cause her to nurse a little longer.
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 08:12 PM

She has always woke for feedings at night; recently it has been slightly more times. She nurses for about five to ten minutes on that one breast. I do massage while she eats to keep her interest up. I have tried different positions while offering the second breast and she will usually fret when I'm trying this. Sometimes if I wait about 15 to 30 minutes I can get her to take the second side but she usually doesn't nurse for long at all. No, she doesn't take a binkey. Prior to the hour or two after she has eaten she is HUNGRY... the only time she want's to nurse for comfort is if she is extremely tired. To me, it's like she would rather "snack" than eat full meals..
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 07:44 AM

If she will go back on after 15-20 minutes or so, put her back on the first side again. Use the same side for a few feeds in a row. This will also help her start to get more of the hindmilk. If she goes to the second side soon after the first, she starts all over with the foremilk which won't fill her up as much.

If the feeds have been increasing recently, could be part growth spurt as she tries to bump up the supply. Hopefully they will start to space out at least a bit in several days.

Some babies are snackers... either really drawing out a meal with frequent breaks to look around, or having quicky, frequent meals. Another trick that sometimes works to keep them on a little longer is to use a nursing necklace. Any bold colored, chunky necklace that you would wear and she can mess with while she is latched on to keep her attention a bit.

If you aren't opposed to using a pacifier, maybe for one of the night feeds, try one and pat her, see if she will settle back down with just the comfort of sucking and without needing to be at the breast.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Rank hun, remember that sucking is natural for babies even when they aren't hungry, this is why a pacifier is usually offered. Sucking is soothing to them.

Some babies fret, but it is because they aren't sucking. We teach our patients to use a pacifier between feedings (easier to throw away later than a tumb or finger) so that they can soothe themselves back to sleep. Tight wraps in warm blankets are also soothing.

From what you are describing, I would have to say that so soon after feedings she is trying to suckle for comfort rather than hunger.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    If she will go back on after 15-20 minutes or so, put her back on the first side again. Use the same side for a few feeds in a row. This will also help her start to get more of the hindmilk. If she goes to the second side soon after the first, she starts all over with the foremilk which won't fill her up as much.

If the feeds have been increasing recently, could be part growth spurt as she tries to bump up the supply. Hopefully they will start to space out at least a bit in several days.

Some babies are snackers...either really drawing out a meal with frequent breaks to look around, or having quicky, frequent meals. Another trick that sometimes works to keep them on a little longer is to use a nursing necklace. Any bold colored, chunky necklace that you would wear and she can mess with while she is latched on to keep her attention a bit.

If you aren't opposed to using a pacifier, maybe for one of the night feeds, try one and pat her, see if she will settle back down with just the comfort of sucking and without needing to be at the breast.
    Thank you, I will try this suggestion! I love the idea of a nursing necklace; first time I've heard of this idea and I have LOTS of chunky colorful necklaces that will work great. The only problem is that she refuses to take a pacifier. I made the mistake of asking the nursery not to give her one after she was born in feart that it would interfere with nursing. I've tried several different types... just doesn't work. Now I MAY be able to let her suck on my finger but that, to me, would defeat the purpose ,maybe?
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Rank hun, remember that sucking is natural for babies even when they aren't hungry, this is why a pacifier is usually offered. Sucking is soothing to them.

Some babies fret, but it is because they aren't sucking. We teach our patients to use a pacifier between feedings (easier to throw away later than a tumb or finger) so that they can soothe themselves back to sleep. Tight wraps in warm blankets are also soothing.

From what you are describing, I would have to say that so soon after feedings she is trying to suckle for comfort rather than hunger.
    I agree here too :) I just wish I would've let the darn nursery give her a binky after she was born... That is one decision I regret because there have been many times that she would've benefited from one. She refuses them... I've tried several different styles. :(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Ah, girl, I'll teach you a few tricks when we get together in December. Of course you bring Lia and I'll bring my new grandson Joseph.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 05:23 AM

Actually it wasn't a mistake to ask the staff to forego the binky early on. It can indeed interfere with nursing for some babies as they will latch and suck differently with a pacifier or bottle than they will with the breast. Best to hold off until you have the breastfeeding down well.

Some babies just aren't interested, often you have to hold it in for them for awhile, or sweeten the deal by putting some breastmilk on it. Two of mine took to them, but the other two were not terribly interested... which had me concerned at first because I always assumed babies and binkies automatically went together!

Try one when she is not hungry, maybe after a full meal, or when she is just quietly alert, or when she is sleepy. Basically anytime you know she isn't wanting a feed just to start getting her used to it. Stick with one type for a few days, then try another if need be. I did postpartum support with newborn twins last summer, and one took one sort while the other preferred a different sort! They definitely do have their preferences... :)

Try either the pacifiers again or your finger for one of the night feeds. The idea is that she will settle down without having to be fed. Yes, you will still be getting up with her for a few nights perhaps, but she will get to the point of not relying on being fed to fall back asleep at that one feeding.

If she does take to one, use it sparingly... less chance of it becoming an issue later on. If she definitely isn't interested, rest assured she will develop other means to help herself settle back down and her feeds will start to space out more. With babies, it often can be just a matter of a few weeks before you notice differences. The silver lining, which you can usually always find if you look hard enough... you won't have to worry about her becoming dependent on one as some babies do... :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Ah, girl, I'll teach you a few tricks when we get together in December. Of course you bring Lia and I'll bring my new grandson Joseph.
    Sounds like a plan ;) We can have us a little baby party! I'm excited :D
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Nov 13, 2008, 07:41 PM

Your little girl knows she can count on you... My son was... is the same way. He only gets up once a night now and it does not bother me. I do get a little stressed when I think about how most babies his age sleep through the night. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks babieface! Yeah it doesn't really bother me that she gets up but it's definitely more than once BUT maybe she will get better within the next couple of months. How old is your son?
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Nov 19, 2008, 07:33 AM

Lol He is almost 12 months. Sleeping problems run in my family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 month old wakes crying, something wrong? [ 12 Answers ]

Tonight our 17 month old boy, who usually sleeps from 8pm to 7am, woke at 11:30pm crying. Within a minute mom went to see him, and he did not react in the usual "you're here!" calming down way... he kept crying. I joined them a minute later, and told mom to take him out of the dark room. In the...

5 year old dog wakes me up almost every night! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old greyhound/foxhound mix. I've had her for a little over 3 years. She is great in so many ways. My husband and I are definitely of the mindset that we have to be the pack leader, and she does really well with that. She does seem to have a very high prey drive and does not get...

10 month wakes up 4-5 times a night! [ 1 Answers ]

I love my weimaraner, Hurley. He is 10 months years old. He use to wake me up 1-2 times a night to use the restroom which was slightly annoying but mangable. The last few weeks though he has been waking up 4-5 times a night. He doesn't always use the restroom either. I have been taking him on 20...

My 2 yr old wakes up screaming [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 2 Yr Girl That Will Not Sleep Through The Night. We Used To Be Able To Put Her In Her Crib & She Would Fall Asleep On Her Own. Now If We Put Her To Sleep In Her Crib She Wakes Up About 2 Hrs Later Screaming. We Have Tried To Let Her Just Cry But After An Hr It Gets Worse; If By Some...

Dog Wakes Me Up at Night: HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I adopted a male "shelter" dog last week... a young (less than a year but probably older than six months according to the vetinarian) black lab mix. He's a great dog... affectionate, obedient, and seems to be housetrained. He gets walks and bathroom breaks up to 5 times a day so maybe he...

View more questions Search