Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099669 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Adding new light fixtures to existing switch
    I am trying to add 3 pendant lights to the same switch as a light in the room. The power source runs to the light first, then to the switch. I tapped into the wire from the switch to the light. I connected whites to whites, blacks to blacks, and grounds to grounds. Now the pre-existing light fixture is constantly on and no power is running to the new pendant lighting. The switch does not control anything now. I would like to have the switch control all of the lights at once. Please help if you can.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 09:33 PM

Well, you did it wrong. There is no neutral at the switch when power comes into the fixture. Wire as below.
    Attached Images

Nov 8, 2008, 03:56 AM

Thank you so much I will try to fix this in the morning.
    Thank you

Nov 8, 2008, 05:20 AM

Does the wiring for the pendant lighting need to come directly from the light fixture or can I tap into the wire which goes from the fixture to the switch?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 07:17 AM

From the light fixture.

There is no neutral in the cable going to the switch. The white wire going to the switch is a hot. The white takes current to the switch and the black brings it back, when the switch is on. Your are suppose to put a piece of black tape on each end, (or paint black) of the white wire going to the switch, to signify that it is hot. It is not a nuetral.

Note the connection of the white (neutral) of the pendant to the white (neutral) of the existing light fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One Switch, 4 light fixtures [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I've read all the posts, I think this one is a good one... I have one switch, and 4 lights. Every time I flip the switch, I trip the breaker. Here is my diagram: --b-----sw------+-------+-------+-------+ ---------------------------------------------Ground --w------------- - ------ -...

Adding lights to existing exterior light circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light fixture that is flush mounted in the ceiling of an exterior porch, I would like to add two more twin bulb floodlights switched by the existing switch if this is okay to do. If so can I run wiring from the current fixture through conduit along the undersides of the eaves, and if so...

How to wire an additional light to an existing 3-way light switch [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and the light at the top of the stairs is connected to a light switch at the top and bottom of the stairwell. I would like to add another light to this configuration at the bottom of the stairs. From what I can see, the power runs into the light...

Where to find 3-position switch to control two light fixtures [ 4 Answers ]

In the bathroom of a recently-remodeled hotel room I found what looked like a standard light switch but it had three positions. The 'down' position turned on only a single light fixture in the bathroom. The 'up' switch turned on all lights in the bathroom. There was also a middle position which...

Seal draft in and around outlet and light-switch fixtures? [ 5 Answers ]

I am finishing a downstairs room. The exterior walls are wrapped and sided on the outside, insulated in the wall cavity, and the drywall is pretty well sealed. I am in Wyoming where it gets quite cold. I can feel a draft around the box (gap to drywall) as well as into the box itself. I think...

View more questions Search