Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12345J Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Deposit in advance
    Hi there,

I gave a full deposit for a room in an advance but I have never been given any key from the house. I have changed my mind two days before the day I should move in and decided not to. I’ve been told to forget about my deposit. What are my legal rights?

Thanks
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 04:08 PM

Well, check the landlord / tenant laws of your state. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link for each state. That will be the final answer.

Did you sign a lease? Did you fill out an application? That may have a bearing on your case, as well. For example, based on the wording on my application you would lose your deposit in this instance. And if you had signed the lease you would not only lose your deposit, but you would be liable for other amounts, as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advance fin acc [ 2 Answers ]

On Nov 1, 2008 the company borrowed Rs. 4,000,000 at 24% to finance construction of the plant. Repayment of loan will start a month after completion of project. During the year ended Oct.31, 2009, expenditure on the building was Rs.3, 000,000. The expenditure was incurred evenly through the year....

Need an advance. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in the process of moving and found a property that I anticipate moving into shortly. To avoid my family from having to move out of state until the middle of Jan. I was thinking about getting a loan from H&R block or Jackson Hewitt, as I believe I understand a lot of places are not doing RAL -...

No-show known in advance by plaintiff atty, my atty not told in advance [ 3 Answers ]

Will I be able to prevail in small claims court against the plaintiff's attorney and/or her? My ex-girlfriend filed a motion for a 2-year protective order to keep me out of our jointly-owned house. At the hearing, she didn't appear, but her attorney truthfully claimed that she was on business...

Pay in advance? [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen a few job listings in the classifieds stating that if you pay an upfront fee they will get you a job. I was wary about this, but that is what my mother said she did 23 years ago to get the job she currently has. I just saw another listing in the paper (And called this one) because it...

View more questions Search