Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lookingforhelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
    'How To' on putting bath below Main line?
    Hello all...

I just bought an old house and completely gutted the basement. I am looking to put a bar and sink on one wall and a 1/2 bath on another. The problem? The main PVC waste line comes off what appears to be a 3" column and gradually slopes downward until exiting the house at a little above knee height. From there I can only assume it goes to the sewer, as I live in the big city. After spending hours and hours trying to think of a solution, I'm beat. How am I suppose to make this bar sink and 1/2 bath drain... I know it can't go uphill to get to the line... or can it somehow? And due to the low ceiling, I can't raise the floor level either! What can I do to make this happen? Please help...

Doc
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 09:03 PM
    The only way I can think of to solve you problem is to put a sump pump in the floor of your basement. You would plumb your bath and bar sink just as you would regularly and you would run it in to a hole in the floor of the basememt. This hole consist of a tank with a pump in it and a floating switch that turns the motor on and off. You would discharge the pump water into the PVC sewer line you mentioned earlier. You would have to be careful about smell, they are completely sealed but you do have to change gaskets it you ever have to change the motor or switch.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Letmetellu was right on target when he advised you that a holding tank and grinder pump was about the only way to drain your fixtures. You're going to have to jackhammer up the floor, install a holding tank, grinder pump and all the drainage and run vents on all fixtures including the holding tank. Are you prepared to do all that? This is major surgery and unless you have considerable plumbing skills will be almost impossible to achieve. I'm not attempting to discourage you, just pointing out facts. If you still wish to continue we will help all we can. Good luck, Tom
    Lookingforhelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Thanks so much to both of you for responding! To answer your question speedball, no, I am really not prepared to do THAT type of work myself. What do you think may be a 'reasonable guestimate' might be for something like that? $500, $1000, $2000? More? Thanks again... I really appreciate it!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookingforhelp
    Thanks so much to both of you for responding! To answer your question speedball, no, I am really not prepared to do THAT type of work myself. What do you think may be a 'reasonable guestimate' might be for something like that? $500, $1000, $2000? More? Thanks again... I really appreciate it!
    It's almost impossible to give a estimate without being there. Too many variables, union labor, materials etc. You can help keep cost down by doing some of the labor work yourself. However, I can give you a idea of how much the holding tank and pump system will cost. Click on; http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sewage.html Get three estimates before you let the job out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking into main line [ 31 Answers ]

I have located my main line under my concreted slab and have dug trench to accommodate line for toilet and shower. Do I run my 4" for my toilet hooking into my main using two 45 degree bends? The shower is beyond the toilet. Do I just connect to the 4" with the shower drain anywhere at all once...

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

Putting in a basement bath and laundry [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a sump and grinder pump in for a basement bath and laundry. I was wondering if I could use the 2" vent pipe from the pump package for the washer and bathroom vanity drain. Any thoughts? use a 3" vent ?

Main Line Trouble or Vent or Both [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, Our one story house built 1955 has had an issue with the main line since we purchased it about 11 years ago. We suspect we have orangeburg pipe from conversations we have had with some of the original owners who are our neighbors. We have to have the main line which exits our...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search