Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Jun 15, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Sailing permit for leaving alien
    Hi ATE,

I am a GC holder, but my company is sending me overseas for about one year.
    As a GC holder, I informed my company of the repercussions it could have on my immigration status. Thus, they paid for the services of an immigration lawyer. He advised to apply for a reentry permit ( form I131, USCIS ).
    However, when I asked this guy about the sailing permit ( proof for departing aliens that taxes were paid : form 1040C or 2067 , IRS ), he said he had never advised to his other clients to apply for one.

What do you think ?

Thanks for your time.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2006, 08:54 PM
    If you are planning on returning, do NOT get the sailing permit.

Just be sure to file your US tax return on time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sailing Permit/L1 Visa/ Pay Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hallo, I work in the US on a L1-Visa (I'm from Germany) since two years and most likely will leave the US end of this year. I get my salary paid by my German employer and get all benefits from Germany, absolut nothing from the US. I do pay taxes in Germany. Do I also have to pay taxes in the US?

French work permit/passport [ 0 Answers ]

Hello; I am an us citizen; married a french citizen in 2002 in the US; and had a child in the us 2003: She registered are marriage and child in France and we have a the blue french Leveret. She move to france to get settle, while I finished school: Question: how long; and how much money...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

NR Alien to Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I immigrated to the US from Canada on November 26, 2005 on an IR1 visa. I just want to confirm what I think I need to do to file my 2005 US taxes. From what I understand, I need to use the standard 1040 to file, declaring any income earned after November 26, 2005. I also need to attach a...

Sailing from Australia to New Zealand [ 1 Answers ]

I want to board a sailingyacht to sail from Australia to New Zealand. Where do I find sites to find a boat?

View more questions Search