Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sashaluv57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Post-Divorce Alimony Abatement/Reduction
    After a marriage of 25+ years, my ex left me and two daughters. Florida divorce was final September 07 w/Final Consent Judgment. Ex to pay permanent alimony of $1500/mo and child support. My issue: ex has been unemployed as a VP since April 08 and is going back to court to ask for reduction/abatement of alimony. He is 59 1/2 and he says he has no hopes of becoming employed?? After 10+ years with his employer I'm certain he got a decent severance package and I know that he has his 401(k) account.

The entire $1500 alimony (plus some out of my pocket) I use to pay the first mortgage on the marital residence per FCJ, which is currently on the market. He is responsible for 2nd = $350. I live in the house with a minor child and because he refuses to reimburse or come out of pocket even though the agreement says he must, I pay for all repairs and maintenance and upkeep on the marital home - which is difficult to do on my salary.

If he receives even a reduction in alimony, I will not be able to make the mortgage payments and we will lose the house to the bank. What are the chances the Court will allow the reduction/abatement? I don't want to lose the house - over $100k equity. Are there any precedents I can refer to? Is a Final Consent Judgment modifiable when it states that he has agreed to pay permanent alimony unless death by either party or upon my remarriage? I thought an agreement was an agreement? Any input or insight is greatly appreciated. I know I will need to get an attorney once I am served or if I am served, but I'm having a lot of sleepless nights wondering if he is going to get the better of me again; if I should start looking for a second job or make the kids give me their paychecks.

Thanks! :o
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 02:37 PM

With no visible income and unless your divorce decree gave you part of his 401K he stands a fair chance of getting the payments reduced. As for the house, why not simply sell the place and buy a house you can afford? OK it is on the market. Maybe you need to reduce the asking price to get it moved. And get your lawyer involved now. If he is not making his payments as court ordered then you need to go after him.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 11:12 PM

We have something called "non-modifiable spousal support" in California. The court cannot order it but the parties can agree to it if they want to (which I personally think is insane and would never let a client of mine agree to). Only if your ex-husband's spousal support order states it is non-modifiable is he on the hook. Calling it "permanant" means nothing and the fact that it was entered into by agreement means nothing either. Spousal support orders are presumed modifiable (assuming there is a change of circumstances) unless specifically labeled non-modifiable. That's pretty much the way the law works.

If your ex is unemployed why should he have to pay support (unless he is deliberately trying to avoid finding another job)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Disclosure of Existing Tax Abatement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased my current house in Oct 2005 from a listing agent who also owned this house. I didn't have my own agent to represent me in this transaction. He was going through foreclosure and I was the last interested buyer during his pre-foreclosure period. He prepared our purchase contract. Before...

Divorce, alimony [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida, I make more money than my husband. He is an alcoholic with 2 hospitilization with record of high blood alcohol, the hospitilization a direct consequence of alcohol. He has capacity for higher earning potential but has not chosen to seek a higher paying job. He has potential...

TN Divorce and Alimony [ 9 Answers ]

I'm asking this for a friend in TN - no really!:o My friend who is a highly paid professional has been married to a man for about 20 years. Although the hubs is also educated they made the choice to have him stay home and even homeschool their children (now college aged). NOW... the wife finds...

Form 843 abatement explanation [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a business that went bad I have 4 quarters of 941 taxes that are unpaid. I spoke with the IRS and they said to pay the tax owed and file Form 843 with a request for abatement of penaties and interest. I am in the process of doing this but would like any insight, hints, information, etc on...

Do I still get alimony if husband takes custody of children after the divorce [ 3 Answers ]

When I got divorced we both got joint custody of children and I got child support and alimony awarded to me for 3 and a half years after,my ex took me back to court and gained custody of children should he still be paying me alimony?

View more questions Search