Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MimiGirl Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
    What is a 64KSMARTCHIP from cingular?
    Hello,
    Just yesterday I found a 64Ksmartchip from cingular hidden in my husbands wallet.. I was curious to know what's inside but do not know how to use it..
    Can anyone please help me with this and tell me what this chip is used for..
    My husband has a at&t cellphone with a regular chip in it.. Iam afraid that he might be hidding something from me in this chip that I found..
    It also has some long numbers on top.. Can anyone help me find out what to do and what it might have stored?
    Thank you

Nov 7, 2008, 11:01 AM

I also tried to put it in my cellphone but the screen says something about it being locked or cannot be used only for emergency calls.. is their any other way?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

Cingular and ATT are one in the same. This is A SIM. Subscriber Identity Module. If a phone was upgraded after the ATT takeover they would have given him a new AT&T SIM, but the old one would still work until the new one was activated. Upgrade to 3G would have required a new SIM.

It could very well be benign and deactivated. A de-activated SIM is useful to move data from phone to phone.

Iphones cannot use a normal SIM.

A SIM ties a phone to a service, in this case ATT/Cingular. That ID number uniquely identifies the service.

The IMEI number uniquely identifies the phone and the country of origin. Thus stollen phones can be linked to a SIM which can be linked to the subscriber. The IMEI number is on the phone.

Phone numbers can be stored to SIM, stored to Phone or stored to aux memory such as as SD card. The SD card is where mp3's usually go.

Yes, it is possible for a phone to have multiple numbers, but I'm not sure where that is controlled at.

So, simple answer: A valid registered SIM is required to make phone calls. It stores phone book entries at a minimum. When a new one is activated on the same account, the previous one is de-activated. You cannot have identical numbers attached to two SIM's.

You can place it in a phone, check the numbers and addresses or you can purchase readers that will allow reading it on a PC.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
    SIM passwords are stored on the SIM in encrypted form and if you try too many times, the SIM is locked out and can only be reset by the provider.

It appears that this could be a valid card. Not sure how a locked phone behaves. I may have locked my phone once.

Nov 7, 2008, 11:39 AM

I did tried it on his own phone and the screen came out regular like it was with his regular chip.. I just don't know were to look if there is anything hidden
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:53 AM

The phone number it's assigned too.
    The address book. My address book is so weird, I doubt anybody would find anything, primarily because there isn't fields for first, last and handle and there is minimal space.

I do have entries labeled:
    0 If found call
    1 Home
    2 (Name I call often)

I'm hoping that if the cell were lost someone would pick up on the "If found" But the digits mess up voice dialing.

Nov 7, 2008, 12:47 PM

So I should try looking on the address book when I insert the chip in his cell?
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:12 PM

Look at the phone number. Might be something like settings/phone status/my tel numbers/Line 1

Find the user manual of the phone online if you have to to figure out how to navigate the menus.

The address book may not mean anything. My address book contains pin codes, ssn's, people I don't call, but a family member does. I use call forward and use a home phone to make the call.

The call logs and the phone number(s) that the phone responds when called would be the most interesting. Although my stupid phone (Motorola V3xx) won't log calls that are forwarded.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:13 PM

Look at the phone number. Might be something like settings/phone status/my tel numbers/Line 1

Find the user manual of the phone online if you have to to figure out how to navigate the menus.

The address book may not mean anything. My address book contains pin codes, ssn's, people I don't call, but a family member does. I use call forward and use a home phone to make the call.

The call logs and the phone number(s) that the phone responds when called would be the most interesting. Although my stupid phone (Motorola V3xx) won't log calls that are forwarded.

Nov 12, 2008, 10:25 AM

Thank you for your help... ill check that out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You.s cingular-att compayible dual sim phones [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for some links to us cingular-att compatible duo sim card phones. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

Unlocking treo650 from cingular for t-mobile [ 1 Answers ]

] Can someone tell me how to unlock a treo 650? I am needing the subsidiary code and steps to do this. Thanks

Sony z520A-cingular.advice?SIM switch? [ 6 Answers ]

Before I go talk to cingular... I have a sony Z520A(cingular) and this is most ridiculous model I've ever seen in my life and I can't believe 5/5 of these around my circle of friends are dead in less than 6 months (including mine). Error:"Inserst Smart Chip". I tried to take the SIM out and put...

View more questions Search