Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowyres69 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Obtaining an ITIN number
    I am financially responsible for the support of my mother who lives in Jamaica and she is the holder of a visitors visa. Can I claim her as a dependent on my tax returns? And if so how do I go about getting a/n ITIN or Social Security number for her? What would be her classification nonresident or resident for tax purposes? She does visit the US sometimes.
    dazedandconfuse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 12:16 PM

You can definitely claim your mother in your tax return provided that if the IRS audits you.. you will be able to show proff of all the support you send her financially. You can get a/n ITIN number for her by going to Internal Revenue Service and downloading form W-7, fill out the form, and have your mother sign it, send it along with a notarized copy of her passport and ID to the IRS.. and if approved, you should have her ITIN# in 4-6 weeks. Hope this helped...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itin number [ 2 Answers ]

I just get my itin numbdr I just want to know if I can give it to my boss to repot taxes klike the ones that have ssn

Obtaining ITIN & Filing tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently working in US on H1B visa, came in 11th Jan 2007 and planning to stay till 31st Jan 08. My wife and daughter are also came with me, they are on H4 Visa, and they will stay with me till 30th Dec 07. I got my Social Security Number. I tried applying for ITIN for my wife and daughter...

How to get an ITIN number [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a student that just graduated high school with no social security number I got accepted to college but I'm asked for an ITIN number or IRS number . I've had to miss my 1st semester of school dude to this problem because tax number are issued on January 1st . Is there a way to get an ITIN number...

Obtaining a w-7 number [ 3 Answers ]

I am very confused- My fiancé of 2 years does not have a social security number nor is he eligiable to receive one. Last year, I began keeping track of all the money he receives from his job. I had him request a w-2 from his employer so we could try to get him a w-7 number enabling him to pay the...

How to Get a ITIN number? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a H1 b from 2005 oct and my husband lives in UK; He will be moving to US on feb 20 th 2007 and will be going to school of dentistry from April ; When and how can I apply for his ITIN number? How can we get back taxes for 2007 which we will be paying as his tution fees in Feb...

View more questions Search