Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bette cornell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Using type o morter for brick foundation in an old house
    Where can we purchase type O morter mix so my husband and I can repair the brick foundation (ourselves) in our 1880 victorian house?

Thank you.
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Nov 9, 2008, 03:12 PM

You can make your own mortar if you wish. Google Type O mortar and get multiple sites with recipe. But why would want to use this weaker mortar?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 03:41 PM

Ok so you are trying to match your old mortar and think it is type O, right. Problem is type O is an old low compression mortar so you might be right but can you match the sand color? Type O is a ration 1 portland to 2 lime and 9 sand. The sand will cause the color and texture you will see so its important to try to get the sand color to match. I'd make very small batches with different sands and test patch on the house. See what looks good and not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To set up a brick and concrete foundation [ 1 Answers ]

To set up a brick wall which may have 21cm width and 6or cm height, what size or depth should have the concrete foundation for such size wall?

Yellow bath water with red brick dust type particles! [ 5 Answers ]

We don't use the bath very often (tend to shower more) but recently ran a bath. The water is coming out yellow coloured and has small particles of what looks like red brick dust. We've run the bath for up to an hour at a time, and it isn't improving. Anyone had the same or know what it might...

Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? [ 4 Answers ]

Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old. Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding. Clearly...

Mortar in brick foundation [ 3 Answers ]

There are several bricks in my foundation where the mortar has turned to powder and washed away. Is a professional required to fix this, or is this a job I can tackle myself? Thank you.

Foundation type [ 2 Answers ]

Guyz would u please help me on what kind of foundation would I apply that my skin or face is prone of having pimples?. tnx!

View more questions Search