Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salexander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Does the court recognize me as the legal father if I am on the Birth Certificate?
    My son is two years old and his mother and I were only engaged when he was born. He has my last name he is on my insurance and I am on the Birth Certificate. I am looking into going for full custody and was wondering if the court recognizes the birth certificate as proof of me being the father or do I have to be declared by paterinty test? Florida.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2008, 07:54 AM

If you are on the because you are the legal father pending a challenge. Not sure about FL law, but if no challenge has been made within a statutory time frame, then you would remain the legal father even if paternity is negative.

Since you will need an attorney to file for full custody, you should ask them what the FL statutes say.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 04:31 PM

Many states probably follow California's rule, which is this: If an unmarried woman gives birth in a hospital no one can be named as the father on the birth certificate unless the mom and alleged father sign a voluntary declaration of paternity (pop-dec). Therefore, if a name of a dad appears on a because and the mom was unmarried at the time, there is a presumption of sorts that a pop-dec was signed and is on file with the Department of Child Support Services (assuming the child was born before 1995 when pop-dec's started being used).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    (assuming the child was born before 1995 when pop-dec's started being used).
    Actually pop-decs began being used before 1995. I have a daughter born in 1993 and my husband, fiancée at the time, had to sign a pop-dec.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Certificate and legal rights [ 16 Answers ]

I currently have full legal and physical custody of my child. Father has visitation and is asking to be put on birth certificate and change child's last name. Does doing this change my legal and or physical rights? What legal rights does it give the father? Father and I were never married, there...

Father not on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

If the father of my child is not on the birth certificate and the baby has my last name does he have any rights?

Should I put the father on birth certificate or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of a teenage girl who is about to give birth to a daughter. She is no longer in relationship with the baby's father and doesn't know whether to list him on the birth certificate. She is also considering moving back to Mexico (her country of origin). Someone told her that...

Changing your birth certificate after a legal name change [ 2 Answers ]

I recently legally changed my name. Have all my legal papers, new social secutiy card, drivers license etc. however now my origanl birth cert does not reflect my name change. I was born in up state New York, lived in Nevada where name change was done and now live in Florida. How do I get this...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search