Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yorkshiremummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 10:01 AM
    5 month old sick all the time
    I've got a five month old son who even 2 hours after a feed is being still being sick all over the place. The only time he's not sick is the feed before I lay him down for bed. He also suffers from excema. We are at the end of our tethers we just don't know what to do. Any help and advise will be gratefully received
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Okay, let us start with what you are feeding him. Formula or milk? Lactose free formula or Acid reflux type formula?

When you say sick I would assume that you mean spitting up.

Have you taken him to the doctor? I believe you should make an appt with the doc ASAP and let him know what is going on.

As for excema, a cream called Eucerine comes in a little tub. Get that, not the kind in a tube, but a little plastic jar. Rub that all over him, give him cool baths daily, not hot, and keep him out of the sun.

I am not a doc, but have had 4 children and have experience with both problems you describe here. It was my doctor who told me how to handle these problems. Call him/her immediately and get the baby in.
    yorkshiremummy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 10:32 AM
    My son is on formular milk and has been on the same one from two weeks old. We have been to the doctor many times, mainly about the excema for which they keep giving us steriod based creams which work for a few days then we are back to the beginning. As for the spitting up they say this is normal as my son is still puttig on weight but now he's getting older and has started weaning I thought this would improve. If anything every thing seems to be getting worse
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 10:39 AM
    It sounds to me as though he has acid reflux. My son had that and the formula that helped was called Enfamil AR.

My oldest son had this too, before the acid reflux formulas were invented, and as long as he gained weight the docs were not worried about it. He did grow out of it too, believe me, he will not be doing this all his life.

As for the excema, try the eucerine cream. It worked wonders for my 4 year old. Remember cool baths, warm or hot baths will make the excema worse.

Next doc's visit, tell him your concern for your son's acid reflux, they may change his formula. He should stay on formula until 1 year of age.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Gosh, sorry that he's not doing so well.

If you've been to the doctor and had allergy tests done, and are giving him the right food, I would really, really take him back to the doctor, or to an Emergency Clinic. Steroids are steroids, in cream form or internally, so maybe this is triggering a reaction. At any rate, this does not sound normal and if you are not satisfied with what the current doctor says, then please take him to another physician. Ask around and good luck.

Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Although I will agree with Chery regarding taking your son to get a second opinion and steroids are steroids no matter what form they come in. I am not too sure about this not being normal. While it may not be normal, it certainly is not unusual. Your doc does not seem concerned because your son is gaining weight, this is important here, the doc know approx how much weight your son should be gaining. If he were not gaining weight the docs would use a term called "failure to thrive." It is with Faliure to Thrive that the docs become concerned.

While there are formulas out on the market today that will help with this problem, some children are still what we call "spitters." I was one many moons ago and my mother still teases that she had to pack a diaper bag for me and one for her. I always spit up on her after every feeding.

This is unfortunate and yes, we do feel bad for our babies, but this just seems to happen to some, not all. Out of my 4 kids, 2 were like this.

Please do go and get a second opinion just to rule out anything else it may be.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 16, 2006, 08:01 AM
    There is also something else to be considered here .If your son is spitting up forcefully it could be a condition called Pyloric Stenosis. My son had this and had to have surgery to correct it.Pyloric stenosis is the narrowing of part of the stomach (the pylorus) that leads into the small intestines. This narrowing occurs because the muscle around the pylorus has grown too large. Most babies with pyloric stenosis begin to vomit during the second to third week of life. Babies begin with "spitting up" that turns into forceful projectile vomiting. The vomiting occurs after feeding. Sometimes, in formula-fed infants, different kinds of formula are tried without any change noted.
    My pediatrician told my at first that my son was allergic to my breast milk, and put my son on nutramigen(42.00 a can!)then when I switched Dr.s. he discovered the real cause of my son's problem. So this is something to keep in mind.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
    We all know there could be many causes, good or bad, normal or not, serious or not. That's why the best 'medicine' in this case is to get reassurance and comfort - for both - parents and child.

Happy Parenting - and it continues for about 20 years!

Kids are super - and worth every minute.

Please keep us posted when you find out the reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Neenah, WI. I started renting in Oct. of 2004. My year lease was up in 2005, but on my rental agreement it went to an automatic month to month if no other agreement was signed, I didn't sign another one and it started month to month Oct 2005. On the agreement it said I cannot move out...

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search