Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearllena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Money Market accounts
    I would like to know how they figure the interest on a Money Market account. If my broker tells me my money in my account earns 4.16 % per month. How is it figured? On my Money Market account the interest goes back into it. What figures do I use? Thank you, Susan
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Jun 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Unless I am mistaken, it works the same as other types of accounts.

Example : you have $1000 in an account at 4.16%/m ( ! ): at the end of the month, you will have earned $41.6 as interests, thus your balance would be $1041.6.

But you make interest with interests : next month, you would also earn interest on those 41.6, not just on 1000.

4,16% per month seems high though ! ( what 's the name of your bank! )

Now, if it's per year ( much more likely ):
    1000 x 0.0416 / 12 = $3.47 interests on the 1st month.
    second month : ( 1000 + 3.47 ) x 0.0416 /12
    and so on...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
    The thing is there is no actual standard. It depends on the account. For example I have a MM acount through my bank that pays interest compounded daily. I have another through PayPal, that pays interest monthly based on the closing balance for the month.

Bottom line; ask the institution for a detailed explanation. They HAVE to give it to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor market [ 3 Answers ]

True or False . When skilled jobs are going to developing countries, service jobs that require fewer skills receive higher compnesation in the local economy

Is It A Buyer's Market or Seller's Market.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello group, would someone please explain to me what determines a "buyer's market" and a "seller's market"? We always hear the "news" of the housing boom busting and now we hear more homeowner's are putting their houses on the market than there are new homes being built, but what does that mean?...

Where is the best Real Estate market? [ 4 Answers ]

Where is the best real estate market in the United States or World to invest?

Fair market value [ 3 Answers ]

I have to do a practice set in accounting, when I got to this transaction it stumped me... What do I debit and credit? How much for? Purchased Land and an office building for $145,000, of which $100,800 was attributable to the fair market value of the building. A $55,000 cash down payment was...

View more questions Search