Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Do you know any astute thieves as Jesus describles?
    Today's Gospel (Lk 16:1-8): At another time Jesus told his disciples, «There was a rich man whose steward was reported to him for fraudulent service. He summoned the steward and asked him: ‘What is this I hear about you? I want you to render an account of your service for it is about to be terminated’. The steward thought to himself: ‘What am I to do now? My master will surely dismiss me. I am not strong enough to do hard work, and I am ashamed to beg. I know what I will do: I must make sure that when I am dismissed, there will be some people to welcome me into their house’.

»So he called his master's debtors one by one. He asked the first who came: ‘How much do you owe my master?’. The reply was: ‘A hundred jars of oil’. The steward said: ‘Here is your bill. Sit down quickly and write there fifty’. To the second he put the same question: ‘How much do you owe?’. The answer was: ‘A thousand measures of wheat’. Then he said: ‘Take your bill and write eight hundred’.

»The master commended the dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the people of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the people of light».

People of darkness vs people of light.
    What else do you see in this gospel lesson?
    :)Peace and Kindness,:)
    Fred
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 12, 2008, 09:03 AM

When the employee realized he was going to lose his job, he forgave the debts other people owed to him, in order to curry favor with them. He was not willing to do such a thing when he had the upper hand. We are told to pray, forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us... so if we are not willing to forgive others unless we can see an advantage in doing so, we are just like this dishonest employee!
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 08:44 PM
    wildandblue,
    Very true.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Nov 13, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm glad you explained that wildandblue, cause I didn't know what it could mean.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
    cogs,
    I'm glad that you are glad.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why jesus [ 31 Answers ]

Why christain people pray to jesus when there is the creator of jesus?

There never was a Jesus? God? [ 165 Answers ]

I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes...

Did Jesus ever say he was God? [ 33 Answers ]

Hi! Simple question: Did Jesus ever say he was God? Thank you!

Jesus [ 17 Answers ]

When did jesus learn he was christ?

View more questions Search