Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Bed-wetting
    :( Does anyone have any advice on what to do about bed-wetting?

Here's a little history:
    -We have a seven year old boy who continues to wet the bed every night. (Almost, there are a couple of times a year he goes without doing it. He's even gone up to about 4 days without then all of a sudden he starts again.)
    -A couple people on my side of the family have had issues
    -We have seen a doctor
    -We have tried two types of medication & restricting fluids
    -I've tried waking him up around 11pm then around 3am, he's always wet at some point.

It seems hopeless. He is very discouraged. We are at our wit's end.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 15, 2006, 04:57 PM
    I don't know much about raising kids (I don't have any) and I have only marginal experience with bed wetting (I did it once in adulthood while very ill and having a bathroom dream LOL) but I do know something about how some things are exacerbated by becoming discouraged.

Perhaps plan for the long haul in this. Step back, take a big breath and look to minimize the hassle of it. Hard not to be discouraged, I can imagine, but kids can be sensitive and your frustration could add to the problem even in small amounts.

I know my brother wet the bed way back in the late 50's and with no help at all in the way of doctors, medications, etc, he eventually just outgrew it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Aqua, I hate to answer questions with questions, but here goes:

What time of day or night do you begin restricting fluids? What kinds of fluids does he drink daily, caffinated, fruit juices, etc?

You do not say where you are, but here in the southern US it is hot, temps in the home will help bedwetting problems. The colder it is in the house, the more likely it is to wet the bed.

Fill me in with these questions and I will try to help more.

Jun 16, 2006, 10:58 AM
    No worries about all of the questions J9.

1. We restrict fluids after 6 if he is going to bed at 8. (This is difficult and frustrating to him and us.)
    2. He drinks mostly milk and water. If we have juice then he drinks that but that might be only 30% of the time.
    3. We are in Saskatchewan. It is cool here.

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate any advice anyone might have. It breaks my heart to see him so upset with himself. Two of his younger brothers are potty-trained with no bedwetting issues and this is really hurtful to him.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Okay, lets regroup:

He has 2 hours between drinking and going to bed, for the most part anyway. Yes, difficult and frustrating, but solvable. The fluids may take longer to travel to his bladder, you may have to restrict more than 2 hours in advance. Instead of liquids, you can use fruit, grapes, apples, whatnot for when he gets thirsty. Sugarfree candy can also help.

Okay, so it is cool there, especially in the evening, I used to live in Alaska, so I can relate. Don't you seem to have to go to the bathroom more often if you are cold? He may be a little chilly while sleeping at night. Make sure his room is a little on the warmer side.

They have the new overnight kids pants for kids his age and older that they can wear at night that keep sheets and clothes dry. This helps to eliminate embarrassment while you are working through this problem. You can make it something special between the two of you and the other kids don't need to know.

Check out this website, it is very interesting and may be helpful.

http://familydoctor.org/366.xml

Jun 16, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I will try that with the fruit. We have been using the overnight pants even though the doctor said it was probably doing him no good. She thought if he got into the habit of feeling wet then he would have to get up and change his sheets and whatnot and that would help. It didn't! It only made the situation worse. I will toss him an extra blanket and see if that helps him to stay warm. Thanks for the tips. I will check out the website.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Okay, I see what your doc is saying, but I have to say I only believe in this for toddlers who are trying to potty train and using pull-ups. I NEVER used them, even daycare insisted and I said no. It only took a week to train mine.

Right now you need to focus on your 7 year olds self-esteem, and if that is what it takes to keep this "secret" then so be it.

Once he learns how to feel good about himself you can focus on conquering this "problem."

This truly is not an unusual problem, he will grow out of it. But he has to learn how to feel good about him first and foremost. The embarrassment is the worst part. If he is not embarrassed, things will begin to happen naturally. Fear of this happening in front of friends can cause enough tension for this to happen.

It will all work out in the end. I promise.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 16, 2006, 02:31 PM
    I agree with J_9, he could be caught in a "loop" and if you make a "graceful" exit for him, he may eventually take it. And hopefully with a good bit of his self esteem still intact. Some of the hardest part of parenting has to be balancing being involved with waiting for your child to figure it out while you set up the parameters in which they do. I can only imagine the challenge there!

Breathe some more. (hug)
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Yes, Val the balancing act is by far one of the hardest parts of parenting. We have to provide opportunities with which our children can either grasp or ignore. The trick is making the opportunity seem enticing, not embarrassing or harsh punishment if the opportunity is not grasped.

Aqua, I am sure you can do this. Just let him know that this IS normal for some people and nothing to be ashamed of. It WILL go away in time.

Hugs, back at you Mom.

Xoxo
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jun 16, 2006, 06:52 PM
    From what I understand, bed-wetting is more common with boys than girls, and can last until a child is 10 or even older.

Most of the "tricks" like limiting fluids in the evening, and waking the child up several times during the night, etc don't really work that well.

The problem is that children sleep more soundly than adults and the neurological sensation of a full bladder is not as advanced as in adults.

In the meantime, explain to the child that this happens sometimes, use a plastic sheet with an extra mattress pad and extra sheet, and the night-time pull up pants.

Restricting fluids and waking up the child make him feel "different" and will more likely decrease self-esteem.

I know it is frustrating. My son saturated through triple diapering as an infant and wet the bed periodically until he was six.

Jun 16, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. I have a new idea of what my next step should be now. I need to pass your attitudes on to him and help him to feel better about himself. I am usually good about it, well we just don't talk about it too much, but there are the odd times when I think I might blame him (I don't tell him that though). I know that is terrible and I won't do that again. I don't want him to get any sort of a bad feeling from me.

WE CAN DO THIS!

I will pass on your encouragement and keep on going up. Thanks again for all of your advice.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 06:01 AM
    What has the doctor said? You want to be careful about over-medicating him. Bed wetting at age 7 is still fairly common. Waking him up during the night isn't good either as it can lead to sleep disturbances that can have far-reaching effects. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. If, in a few years the problem persists, then you may want to talk with a urologist. I have a 7 year old myself, as well as a 5 year old. We still send them to bed every night with "pull ups" on as they still occasionally wet during the night. You might want to consider this as it'll keep him from ruining his sheets and mattresses.

Jun 17, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Thanks s cianci, I do use pull ups every night. They have been my saving grace. I can't imagine 10 or 15 years ago when they didn't have them. I haven't over-medicated him so no worries there. We tried one cheaper medicine and it worked for about a week, then nothing. So he got that one for about a week and a half and another one for a couple of weeks. The expensive one seemed to work well but after about 2 weeks, it didn't work any more either. I think I am going to have to take him back to the pediatrician. Maybe it is normal, maybe there is something else going on.

At what age do they usually grow out of it?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
    It can take until age 11 or 12 until they completely outgrow it.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Okay, lets regroup:

He has 2 hours between drinking and going to bed, for the most part anyway. Yes, difficult and frustrating, but solvable. The fluids may take longer to travel to his bladder, you may have to restrict more than 2 hours in advance. Instead of liquids, you can use fruit, grapes, apples, whatnot for when he gets thirsty. Sugarfree candy can also help.

Okay, so it is cool there, especially in the evening, I used to live in Alaska, so I can relate. Don't you seem to have to go to the bathroom more often if you are cold? He may be a little chilly while sleeping at night. Make sure his room is a little on the warmer side.

They have the new overnight kids pants for kids his age and older that they can wear at night that keep sheets and clothes dry. This helps to eliminate embarrassment while you are working through this problem. You can make it something special between the two of you and the other kids don't need to know.

Check out this website, it is very interesting and may be helpful.

http://familydoctor.org/366.xml
    Hi J_9, couldn't rate you this time around, but wanted to let you know that your suggestion and the link to the 'familydoctor' were great! Added the link to my favorites.

Don't worry, aqua.. you'll get there!

Jun 19, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Thanks again Val and everyone else.

This is one of those things that would greatly be helped if he knew that he wasn't alone, but unfortunately can't share this with any of his friends. I will try to encourage him.

J9... that was a great link. Thank you.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 19, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua@home
    Thanks again Val and everyone else.

This is one of those things that would greatly be helped if he knew that he wasn't alone, but unfortunately can't share this with any of his friends. I will try to encourage him.

J9...that was a great link. Thank you.

Right, he can't. But I got a different perspective on this when a Friend of mine slept over on the couch and wet the couch. I think I was about 11 and had just about stopped by then. He is not alone, and will eventually stop.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 20, 2006, 12:55 PM
    I just saw something on the Today show -- Today about "is your home making you sick?" One thing they mentioned is having a bed to close to electrical wires can cause bed wetting amongst other things. I am not sure how you cannot have it near elctrical circuits but that is what they said. I figured I would throw it out there.

Here is the link to the listing of all the topics. I think it is a video of it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/?ta=y. Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Thanks jduke... that is really interesting. I will come back tomorrow and comment on everyone's postings as I am not allowed for another 24 hours. Same goes with the "object in nose" thread. Thanks

Jul 18, 2006, 02:36 PM
    **UPDATE**

Hi all, I just thought I would tell you what is going on now. My son must be maturing or something. So far in the last week and a half, my son has only wet the bed once (and it was only a little). We are both so excited and I hope this will be long term for him.

Thanks for all of your support.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search