Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngalps View Post
    princessazteca, how old are you??

she has experienced this since she was 15. she says she has taken advantage of the doctors and had an evaluation. we don't know yet when it was, but by her answer, it seems that it was done after these occurrences, or even between them.

she seems pretty sure of herself that this is not hallucinations, but then you tell her if she is spiritual and religious that this will aid her in her medical treatment? in your answer you seem sure that it is in fact hallucinations. i don't know...i am rambling...my point is that your post seems a little pushy with expert advice that she is mentally unstable.

and by your other posts of spirits, your answers are in a joking manner and patronizing.

yes. this situation is different. she can get hurt. it needs to be taken seriously.
    Oh and yes, this was my post...
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngalps View Post
    my post was not an insult to your beliefs!!!!!!!!!!!! in fact i did say that this is a very different serious situation and she could get hurt without the proper help. and i totally didn't disgard the fact that your advice could be right and it could be hallucinations in my first post. she thinks that it is not from a previous examination. no, i am not a doctor. i didn't give doctor/expert advice. i said that the occurences could be both logical and something spiritual.

Oh, and finally, this is my post...

She already said she was evaluated and you are still PUSHING your OPINION on her. That is my last answer. I will not take away from the topic anymore. Have a good night...
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Nov 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I really do suggest you consider seeing a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. While you might feel better about the likelihood of being believed by someone who claims to work in "holistic" or "transpersonal" well being, there are no largely accepted standards that certify that their "cures" are not at least in part "dupes." Because you are in such a fragile place, you face a big risk of being taken advantage of financially and emotionally. On the other hand, a professional, certified therapist (as described above) will be able to help you to rule out psychotic episodes or another hallucinogenic disorder. There are medically proven abnormalities that sometimes occur in certain people between wake and sleep. Go to a medical expert or talk to your doctor. They will be able to help you to find the appropriate solutions so that you can stop suffering from what must seem very, upsetting, disturbing, and real to you right now.
    Since one of my best friends is an adjunct professor at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in San Francisco, I need to respond to this. Transpersonal psychology is a movement in the psychology movement, just like the cognitive school or any number of others. ITP is a fully accredited school that has masters and PhD programs. My friend is a licensed FMT and all the tenured professors there are licensed clinical psychologists.
    Unveiled Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2008, 10:22 AM

Wow this is very interesting, and to hear the different ways to go about taking care of your "problem." I am agnostic, I am not a psychologist... yet, I am not a indian man nor do I practice any magic tools. But I do know what our mind is capable of, it is the strongest tool we have, next to the heart. Your willingness to believe in such things is what makes this real. So you have to believe that you are stronger than it. Give the sage a try, I have never had to try it, but you have used Prayer already and that did not help. So go on to the next advice, then try a paranormal group in your area so that they can confirm what you are saying. Just so you will not feel crazy. If they do not capture anything then that is when you might want to seek help with a mental health physician.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alder View Post
    Be careful with counselors, therapists, psychologists, though. Some can be very helpful, but some can be very narrow minded, and might mis-interpret this spiritual attack as psychosis. I recommend looking for ones who describe themselves as "holistic" or "transpersonal" in their yellow pages ads. They tend to be more accepting that things like this really happen.
    Hello, alder. I'm sorry if you were offended by my post. If she wants to see a licensed transpersonal psychologist, that's fine. I looked up the school, and it is accredited by a trusted source, so I'm not going to argue against it. Are you happy now. :) my primary concern has been that the OP, who is obviously and legitimately in a delicate state emotionally, would be taken for a ride by a charlatan. Would you agree that there is a fair enough number of tricksters who will tell anyone anything they want to hear to make a buck? I can't tell you how many stories I've read and journalistic investigations I've seen regarding people who are desperate need of help and are taken for a ride by someone who will also manage to drain their entire life's savings and emotional well being (if they're not also worse off because a serious medical condition has wound up untreated) down to the last crumb. The reason so many of these swindlers get away with what they do is that they prey on the weaknesses of the weak, they have no sense of empathy or morality, and it's difficult to prove something wrong if the situation is based on things that have no largely accepted version of proof in the first place.

Furthermore, I don't understand why someone would leave behind a possible diagnosis that has already been scientifically documented. This is especially true if that person is a nurse and has entrusted her entire career into western medical care. Obviously some part of her has to believe in it, right?

I also don't understand why someone would say that a person who is suffering greatly from something like this, which has an existing diagnosis and existing treatments, would be advised against seeing a clinical psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist or counselor. You said that they "might misinterpret this spiritual attack as psychosis." do you not believe that psychotic episodes exist? If you do, why would you discourage someone from getting treated for it by discussing their situation with their regular doctor? If you don't believe that psychotic episodes exist, I would really like to know why. Of course, I've already taken my guess at what's going on: sleep paralysis and hypnagogia (as listed in each of my previous posts).

It's clear that you are a bright, sensitive, caring, interesting and unusual chap. While I might not agree with everything you say, I am still interested in hearing what you have to say. I'm not asking these questions to rile you up. I really want to know what you're thinking.

I am a spiritual person. I don't know why anyone would assume that considering science and modern medicine for certain treatments would make one a non-believer in anything unseen. It's not the case.

I sincerely hope the OP comes back to give an update or share what steps she may have taken and if those steps have helped her. In the end, my hope for her well being was the only reason I decided to post in this thread. I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling.

Five reasons to be careful (I'm certainly not saying that everyone is like this, but they are some things to keep in mind):
    Radionics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quackery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pseudoscience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Charlatan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hoax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* southerngalps, if you try to hijack another thread or harass another member like that again, i will report you. there are plenty of opinions on this site, and everyone is entitled to share their own. that's part of what makes this site interesting, as well as a place of learning. please treat others with the same respect you would want them to give to you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:35 AM

She said she has had evaluation by psychologists in the past and other than this occurrence seems to live a very 'normal' life so I agree with Alder she needs to find an accredited place/person that can get to the source of the problem.
    If she keeps going to psychiatric evaluations they may eventually just put her on some medication that she may not need and never figure out what is going on with her. An honest place such as Alder suggested, I am sure would let her know if it is a mental thing with her and not paranormal. (A scam one may lead her to believe otherwise I am sure so she does need a reputable place)
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 05:22 PM

linnealand disagrees: factually incorrect. I have a right to share my opinion as much as anyone else does. I have not been *pushing* anything. I've been defending myself from your attacks. You have also been extremely argumentative without pause or legitimate provocation.

My posts were my opinions as well. I don't believe it called for a disagree.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 05:43 PM

Chiropractors were considered charlatan, quackery hoaxters at one time too and now more and more people are seeing the value of them and turning from their traditional doctors that simply mask problems to alternative doctors.
    At one time psychiatrists gave shock treatments and doped patients up with meds if they had no concrete answers for what the problem was. Now more people are seeing that there IS much more to the paranormal and these patients may have had unexplainable in the natural realm problems and meds were not the answer after all so I have to agree with southerngalp.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the balancer, nohelp4u!

Much, much appreciated.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving ;)
    roxy8120 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2008, 01:39 PM

The must have been awful for you and I hope this never happens to you again but now I am scared I have had this too not the whole sex one but the one where you cannot move- I am 11 years old and I do not know what to do it was terrible for me as I could not move or speak but I saw like a vision it walked into my room it was all black it was scary _ please help me I am 11 my sister can see ghosts but I haven't told anyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing myself or losing my life [ 13 Answers ]

Hi all, this is a long one so please bear with me. I got married at 19 to a man who’s 20 years older and we have six children. We have been married 19 years. Where do I start... apart from him changing nappies when the children were younger he does not engage with the children at all. He basically...

Okay.I'm losing it now. [ 20 Answers ]

Man, my girl, her friend, and her brother are gone to the bar and I'm all alone going crazy. I have tried to stay busy, but that's not working at all. Of course, by my other posts we're having a lot of problems and I'm just freaking out. Yeah, I messed up a lot... I lied to her, put her in a bad...

Losing everything [ 17 Answers ]

Here's the thing, I've been with my girlfriend for about two months now and its been a great time but just recently about a month ago I lost three family members in a strange freak accident. That wasn't all. Now my cousins in a comma, and my parents are about to get divorced after an 18 year...

I'm losing it. [ 9 Answers ]

I love my husband I really do but there are things in our marriage that are killing me. My husband is on SSI and unable to work due to having two different cancers and diabetis. I work an 8 hour day in an office. When I get home I am expected to ALWAYS make dinner. Due to this I expect my...

Losing mr right -what should I do? [ 9 Answers ]

OK this is long question but I think the most detail is the better. I'm 33, and have kids. I work full time with drug users. Back at end of may I got a text from a guy I'd met and fancied the pants off asking me out. At that time I was at the end of my relationship with my ex,the kids dad, 6 yrs...

View more questions Search