Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ping38738 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Weight lifting Support
    I live in an apartment complex on the top (3rd) floor. The apartment complex is 100 years old . I am looking at buying a piece of weight lifting equipment that weighs roughly 700 pounds. The base of it is is 42" X 55", however most of the weight is with in two feet. This is a cable cross unit with 2 200lbs. Stacks which are close to each other. The only thing I know about the floor joists is that they are 2 feet apart. I am looking at putting the unit adjacent to an interior wall, and I believe the unit below me has the same design as mine. Will I have any problems with the structural support?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 7, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Very possible, probably won't fall through, but could cause a sag in the floor and the ceiling below you?

If you would set it on a couple sheets of ply, going perpendicular to the floor joists, you would spread the weight between more joists.

Good luck Roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight Lifting/bodybuilding / WILL THIS WORK ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am an average 40 yr old guy.. no big beer gut etc but I was never one of those guys when you take your shirt off women go "wow" either.. I am considering starting a weight lifting/bodybuilding program that I designed which is basically this.. I take the maximum weight I can SAFELY and PROPERLY...

Weight lifting [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 59 year old male who has been lifting weights for 40 years. After having hiatal hernia surgery, should I continue to lift heavy weights?

Weight lifting [ 2 Answers ]

Ive gotten to the point now where I divide my exericses groups into day such as my chest and legs one day and then my biceps and triceps the next time I work out etc.. I just wondering should I be doing multiple exercises per muscle so do three chest exercises on the day I do my chest and so on? ...

Weight lifting at young age [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 15 years old and am lifting quite heavy weights -i'm talking about 100kg-. Is there any chance that this can stunt my growth? I lift with correct form, however my growth does concern me. I have been lifting for about 20 months now,

Weight lifting [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is OK to do a full body workout three days a week? Also when is the best time to do a workout I usually do it around 4 or 5 pm.

View more questions Search