Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    graciefamily Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Adopted puppy not eating and sleeping a lot
    We just adopted a Shih Poo, she is only 2.8lbs and about 14 weeks (estimated by animal rescue). We brought her home on Sunday and everything seemed fine but by Monday she started with the runny stool, Tuesday I took in a sample to be tested for parasites. On Wednesday it still was not better but then her eating got less. Now it is Thursday, we took her in to the vet for the runny stool and they gave us medicine. But her eating is still not happening. They did test her for dehydration but she is good. She is peeing and pooping still. She sleeps a lot. The vet ok'ed us changing her pet food today because she was not happy with the one the rescue used. She said because she already had diarrhea would could do it. Should we be concerned about this or is it just the adjustement period? We are new to pets.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 7, 2008, 01:46 AM

Has your puppy gotten all of her shots? Parvo in particular, as this is deadly. If you have taken her to the vet, I would hope that they checked that first.

Are you feeding her milk. If you are, this is not a good idea, because it will cause diarrhea. Did the vet comment on the fact that she seems underweight for her age? If she doesn't perk up within the next day or two, and is still having diarrhea, and acting lethargic, you need to take her back to the vet.

If she isn't drinking, I would get a small plastic syringe, and give her peralite to keep her hydrated. Puppies can become dehydrated very quickly.

Something sure doesn't sound right with the little pup, so I would keep a very close eye on her. She's just a tiny little baby.

Good luck, and I hope she is all right. :)

Nov 7, 2008, 02:10 PM

She only has one of her shots so far. I do believe they checked her poop sample I brought in for any parasites and found none. She is schedule for her next check up and shots in two weeks. The vet did say she is underweight and to work on plumping her up. That is why her not eating, drinking and diarrhea is such a concern. Thank you so much for your reply. I did use the syringe that came with her diarrhea medicine to get water in her and it really helped perk her back up. She ate some last night.

We are keeping a close eye on her, just not sure what to do because we have never had a puppy/dog before. From the moment we saw her she was a part of the family.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 7, 2008, 02:16 PM

She only got one shot? Do you know what the one shot was? Where did she receive the shot? Was it at the vet you are taking her to, or from where you got her? This concerns me. If it wasn't your vet that gave the shot, have you mentioned this to her, and does she have a record of the shot and the date it was given, if not done by her? You need to make sure the parvo virus shot was included, or you could be in for heartbreak. Parvo takes over quickly.

Nov 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
    I am not a home but the sheet we were given by the animal rescue on the day we picked her up to give the vet had this information read to me by my son - Canine distemper, Adieno virus type II, Para influenza, and Parvo virus vaccine. Plus a micro chip. We gave this sheet to the vet when we took her in. The vet office then had us set up the appointment for the next set for 3 weeks after the first set and I believe they said something about another distemper, heartworms and rabies at that appointment, and 3 weeks after that her next set. Sorry I am so green with this. I hope this is what you were asking.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 7, 2008, 02:52 PM

Oh, don't appologise. I understand what you mean now. Okay yes, those were her initial shots. I wasn't clear that she was adopted from a shelter,a and they usually won't let the dogs go without all necessary shots. Bless you for adopting a shelter dog. I commend you for asking and finding out all of the info you can. I wish all pet owners were this responsible.

Just keep a close eye on her, and if there are anymore changes in her behaviour, like throwing up, or still not wanting to eat or drink, and still being lethargic, I would take her right straight back to the vet.

You've only had her for a few days now, so maybe it was that the other food just didn't agree with her, and she has a bit of a sensitive tummy. I think also because she is so tiny and underweight, that she probably can only handle small ammounts of food at a time right now. Once she starts to eat a little more each day, she will develop a bigger appetite slowly but surely.

Keep us updated on the teeny weeny! :)
    xoxcelestialxox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
    I wouldn't worry about the whole sleeping thing so much they sleep for 18-20 hours a day because there still growing,and your puppy is also thin so its probably better that she gets more rest
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 05:32 PM

It's not a puppy anymore, thread is from 2008.

Please check the dates before responding.

(I miss Starbys great answers)

closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is my puppy sleeping too much? [ 2 Answers ]

We just got a 7 week old chesapeake bay ret. We brought him home 2 days ago. He is sleeping a lot. He will get up and play for about 30min.-1hour and then sleep for 2 hours. I take him out to walk him and he takes a couple steps and then lays in the grass. Do you think this is normal?

Adopted Dog from Shelter - she's lethargic, no eating [ 5 Answers ]

On Wednesday night, I took home a 2 year old golden/spaniel mix from a shelter. I'm concerned about her. She was spayed on Wednesday. She doesn't seem to have really recovered fully. She ate on Thursday, less than I thought she should. She's a very sweet girl, but seems to sleep and isn't...

Keeps Sleeping and Not Eating [ 4 Answers ]

Hi we have just bought a daschund 3 days ago from a pet store and it has been very playful until 4PM today.. it will wake up and then go back to sleep.. it sleeps in a bed that's sitting in a crate and theirs a area for food and water.. it normally eats and pees after it wakes up but it just keeps...

My dog is not eating and is sleeping all the time [ 2 Answers ]

My Staffordshire terrior is not eating. It all started when I leave my dog outside.Shes a house Dog I'm usually with at all times.I started leaving her outside for the past two weeks,from around 2:00 pm to 7:00pm.The first week she started to eat and drink small amounts of what I leave her out...

Is my puppy sleeping too much? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund puppy that is about 8 weeks old. We have only had him two days, but he sure does sleep a lot. When he is awake he is playful, but not like other large breed puppies I have had. Should I be worried? I made an appt. with the vet in about two weeks... should I try to move it...

View more questions Search