Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2005audit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Refiling after 2005 audit
    I recently received a Notice to Assess from MA Dept of Revenue for year 2005. I realized the mistake I made on my state taxes. To correct I will have to refile federal and state taxes with my status changed from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Single.

My question is can I re-file for federal and state return with new status?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 12:53 AM

Normally, you will file amended tax return if you are amending your filing status. But if you filed joint return, you can not amend it to file separate returns.

So more info is needed.

Nov 7, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Normally, you will file amended tax return if you are amending your filing status. But if you filed joint return, you can not amend it to file separate returns.

So more info is needed.
    Thanks. Here is more info.

My girlfriend and I got married in December of 2005. She lived in Florida at the time and I lived in MA. Since Florida does not have state taxes only federal taxes were withheld in her case.

We filed jointly for that year. The mistake I did was that when filing MA tax return I only reported my wages and so paid less tax. Now I have a notice to assess and am being asked to pay more tax + interest.

So my question is, if we had filed separately for that year and showed two separate residences would we have to pay taxes in MA on her income from Florida? I am thinking of refiling both federal and state with 'married filing separately' status.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
    MukatA is correct: Once you file jointly, it is an IRREVOCABLE decision; you cannot amend to file Married Filing Separately unless your original joint return was itself an illegal return, which it was not.

That said, you should NOT have to pay taxes on her income earned in Florida because you were only married for one month in 2005.

Contact the Massachusetts tax department and explain this. You will probably have to provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but once that is done, Massachusetts should change its position.

Nov 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    MukatA is correct: Once you file jointly, it is an IRREVOCABLE decision; you cannot amend to file Married Filing Separately unless your original joint return was itself an illegal return, which it was not.

That said, you should NOT have to pay taxes on her income earned in Florida because you were only married for one month in 2005.

Contact the Massachusetts tax department and explain this. You will probably have to provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but once that is done, Massachusetts should change its position.
    I can certainly call them and explain that we were only married for a month. I hope that works. Thanks for the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hr system audit [ 1 Answers ]

What is human resource system audit?

Refiling previous years taxes using turbotax [ 1 Answers ]

How do I re-file previous Wisconsin state taxes using turbotax

Refiling previous years taxes using turbo tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I refile previouse years taxes using turbo Tax? If I were to purchase this years Turbo Tax are there options for refiling previouse years. I've always hand cranked my taxes but this year a friend did mine in their Turbo Tax and I see things that I missed in previous years. Will refiling make...

Refiling taxes [ 3 Answers ]

first off, here is some info on me: I came to US in 2002 as a student on F-1, I graduated in June 2006 and worked from june2006 until August of 2007 under TN status. I am now a grad student under F-1 since August 2007. during years 2002-2005 I filed 1040NR here is my question: I think that I...

Refiling 2004 and 2005 Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I filed my own taxes for 2004 and 2005 however I'm no expert and I think I may have cheated myself on some valuable points. Can I refile my taxes through an expert like H&R Block or Hewitt Jackson? In both filings I did not have to pay the government and received refunds. Is there a penalty for...

View more questions Search