Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdug3146 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
    5 year bank cd at 5.5%
    If I have money in a new 5 year fdic bank at 5.5%... is this not a good thing?? Sometimes I think it was easier when I had nothing as I did not have to worry about it...
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Nov 6, 2008, 02:50 PM

Mdug - yeah, 5.5% is a great rate but the question is whether you are willing to forego spending that money for 5 years. If the amount is small, perhaps it's really not worth it but if you are investing $10,000 for example, you'll earn over $3000 back at the end of the term.

Decisions, decisions, my friend. Maybe you can do a 1 year CD. Check out Bankrate.com and see what kind of rates are out there. You could consider a high yield savings account which nowadays pays around 3.5%, and you are allowed to make withdrawals from these accounts without penalty, unlike a CD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does the average 20-22 year old have in the bank? [ 12 Answers ]

How much money does the average 20-22 year old have in the bank?

One year out of prison for Bank Larceny, need better paying job FAST. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm also trying to find a better paying job. I've been out of prison for a year for Bank Larceny and it's been VERY hard to find anything that pays well. I have a PhD in Human Resource Management and cannot find anything in my field. Another negative against me is that I live in VA, a...

Need approx 97,000 to payoff bank note @ 145,00 bank will forgive the rest, any ideas [ 4 Answers ]

Who do we turn to? Anyone willing to invest in us?? Grants or loans we don't know??

Part year resident for MA : bank interests [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9: "Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28 If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the...

View more questions Search