Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusanO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Is my green card dependent on my husbands?
    My husband and I both hold 10 year Permanent Resident cards, and both of us are born Canadian citizens currently residing in Iowa. The situation is that my husband has decided to accept another job in Canada (which I know will revoke his card), and the plan is that I stay here with our children until we can sell the house. We will also be considering this a trial separation, after which time we may or may not divorce, and (depending on the answer here) I may or may not move back to Canada, and perhaps stay in the US.

The basic question is will my green card be revoked when his is, or are they independent of each other? Even if we decide to remain together, we predict it will take at least 6 months to sell the house, perhaps longer depending on when the economy turns around.

Also, we have been married for 16 years, 4 of those years in the USA, so it's clearly not a case of a fraudulent marriage in order to get a green card.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. I've searched out this question on various sites, but have only found answers to cases of divorce of a green card holder married to a US citizen.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 12:05 PM

If he moves back to Canada and you stay with the kids in US, he may lose his PR status, but you don't.

What you both should do is apply for naturalization before you move. Both Canada and US recognize dual citizenship, so you can maintain both. There is no restriction on US citizen living overseas... you can stay as long as you wish, just file tax return every year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

Can a wife use her husbands credit card? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a wife use her husbands credit card?

Deceased husbands credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I live in California. My husband passed away the end of January 2008. He had several credit cards where I was only the authorized user. An attorney told me that I am not responsible for the debt. However, the debt is appearing on my credit report. Also, the creditors are harassing me. How do...

How to get ex-husbands card off my credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I pulled a copy of my credit report yesterday and I noticed that my ex-husband's Visa card is still on my list of credit. I was only an authorized signer on the account but I was taken off during our divorce. How can I get this off my credit report. He has that card maxed out and its...

Can they garnish my husbands paycheck for an old credit card bill, in Ga. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I signed up for the "Consumer Credit Consolidation" a few years ago to get out of debt. One credit card company, after one month, dropped me from the plan because of late payment. Reason being that the money order purchased to send to CCCS turned up missing or stolen, I never found...

View more questions Search