Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcokkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Calculate the standard deviation
    Hey,

A company has moved to new premises and the management have reason to believe that the number of internal telephne calls will increase. At the old premises the daily number of calls could be described by a normal distribution with a mean of 110. For 5% of the days, the number of calls was either less than 80 or above 140.

Question 1: Calculate the standard deviation.

How do I do that?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 12:10 PM

Knowing that the area of under the bell curve above 140 or below 80 is equal to 5%, you can look up the "z-score" that corresponds to either 5% or 95% (because you know the area to the left of 80 is 5%, and the area to the left of 140 is 95%). That will tell you how many standard deviations 80 and 140 are away from the mean of 110. Suppose the z-score is 2 (it's not, but just suppose). Then you know that one standard deviation is half of 140-110. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

The weights ( in pounds) of a sample of five boxes being sent by UPS are :12,6,7,3, and 10. Compute the standard deviation. I'm not quite sure where to start with this problem What formula do I use for this problem?

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

On one of my homework assignments I had this question: A coin is tossed 72 times. Find the standard deviation for the number of heads that will be tossed. Could you please help me get started? Then I will be fine. Thank you, Cheryl :confused:

Statistics standard deviation and mean [ 1 Answers ]

A test consists of 80 multiple choice questions, each with five possible answers only one of which is correct. What is the mean and standard deviation of the number of correct answers

Standard Deviation [ 3 Answers ]

The question reads, What is the standard deviation for the sample data below: 154,216,171,188,229,203,184,173,181,147 Round the answer to the nearest tenth. I have done this several times but my answer keeps coming up wrong. Can anyone explain this to me>?

View more questions Search