Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frajoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Saving account interest
    Just how is the interest paid on savings figured? Say, for instance, I have $10,000.00 in my saving account and the interest is 3.5%. How much interest will I earn at the end of the month and how is this figured??
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 14, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Approximately that would be 3,500 a year divided by 12 = 291.66 a month.
    That's the way I figure it. I could be wrong, and If I am I'd like to know something more exact.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
    How it works is that every month you will earn interest equal to 1/12 of 3.5%

So, 3.5% x 1/12 = 0.29167% / month

But, if you were to leave your money in the bank, your accumulated interest rate would be higher than 3.5% because your total money in your account goes up each month due to the interest you are receiving.

Month 1 = Interest = 10,000 x .035 x 1 / 12 = 29.17

SHUNNED miscalculated. Total approx. yearly interest would be $350 NOT $3,500

10,000 x .035 = 350
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Just to add to Captain's more accurate answer. Most banks pay interest on savings accounts that is compounded. This means the annual interest is divided by the compunding period (Daily, weekly, monthly) and applied to the balance at the end of that period. So basically you earn interest on interest.

You need to make sure what type of compounding the account carriers to calculate the interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saving pictures [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I try to save my pictures from my camera through the camera program to a CD-R, a rewritable CD, or a flash drive, it says that it is write protected. What could be wrong. I know I have done this before and it worked.

Interest bearing account for up front rental payments? [ 3 Answers ]

Is a landlord required to put rental payments, (paid in advance), in an interest-bearing account? Note, the rental payments are NOT a security deposit.

Joint account interest filing separately [ 5 Answers ]

In the case of a joint account, who should show "interest income". I am Filing as resident alien. My husband's filing as non resident alien (and does Not have to pay taxes on interest income, I believe).

Saving e-mails [ 2 Answers ]

Good evening all. I wonder if any of you good people can help me again. In my Hotmail account I have created a folder, and I save an e-mail in it each day. Is there any way I can "Burn" them to a disc? Would I have to save each one individually? Thanks in advance. Davidofgrimsby.

View more questions Search