Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huskerbob Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Virginia Creeper (American Ivy)
    I want to plant Virginia Creeper on my property, I harvested seeds, I live in foothills of Colorado so I was going to cold stratify them in the fridge over the winter, is there anything I need to do to them before I do? Should I weaken the seed lining with sand paper?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 10:04 AM

I am wondering why you want to start them in the fridge ? Why don't you just root cuttings over the winter so you will be working with a stronger plant. You do know you will never get rid of this climbing creeping plant once it is established. They have a habit, same as many creepers in that family, of going under ground and coming up god knows where and extremely difficult to control.

Nov 6, 2008, 11:47 AM
    As usual tickle has left an incredibly useless piece of advice. Now, back to the initial question...
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 04:14 PM

That threw me for a loop, huskerbob, what brought that on ? I don't know you from a piece of cr*p. And that is what your reply reminds me of.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 04:23 PM

The Virginia Creeper is easily found in nurseries, garden stores and other plant dealers and distributors. It can be propagated by Bare Root, Container and Seed. It has a Moderate ability to spread through seed production and the seedlings have Medium vigor. Note that cold stratification is not required for seed germination and the plant cannot survive exposure to temperatures below -28°F. Virginia Creeper has High tolerance to drought and restricted water conditions.

Nov 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
    I too googled Virginia Creeper, now does anyone have experience planting these seeds?

Tickle don't feel compelled to answer every question that comes on this board. You have very little experience in most matters you post on. Get out from in front of your computer, go outside, and live! Get some experience, get some facts, then you can post other things besides conjecture.
    Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 01:40 PM

huskerbob, I have a very busy lifestyle being a certified Personal Support Worker for the Canadian Red Cross in Canada, I am also on the Dragon Boat Team here in my community and we travel competively all over Ontario during the summer. This is in addition to travelling, gardening and god knows what else I do throughout the year. I happen to be a 66 year old female with quite a lot of life experience behind me, huskerbob. As you can see I am working past retirement in a 50 hour week and plan to as long as I am able physically to do so. I also renovated my own home. How much more experience do you think I have to have, huskerbob.

Oh, and yes, forgot to mention I have my own stained glass business that I do on the side, so that adds another l0 hours a week to my busy weekly schedule.

Nov 7, 2008, 08:25 PM

wow, I do the same things! Oh yeah, plus I make award winning pottery.

Anyone can hide behind an Avatar. Letsee, 4700 posts divided by 20 months=235posts/month=8 posts every single day since you joined. Like I said -get a life!
    ------------------------------------------
    Now, back to the original question... anyone else?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virginia Dmv [ 3 Answers ]

If you have a mental or physical condition that may impair your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, even temporarily, you must provide DMV with a medical statement from your physician/nurse practitioner. Some of these conditions include: Level of consciousness Seizures Vision changes...

Who sang "Virginia, Virginia don't go" from70's or 80's [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang the song with the main chorus "Virginia, ...Virginia dont go" followed by a guitar riff? Its 70's or 80's rock I think. Thanks

Lyrics from 70's Virginia, Virginia don't go. Who is the group [ 1 Answers ]

Stuck on just one line " Virginia, Virginia dont go " who is the group?

Virginia didn't come get me [ 2 Answers ]

I have served 2 years in the NYSDOC and when I finished my sentence Virginia was suppose to come and pick me up.However I was released on a CR an VA. Did not come get me.I'm still In violation in Va.I would like to know how is this going to effect me.Is VA. At fault for not coming to get me and,...

Isotoma Blue Star Creeper [ 1 Answers ]

Will it grow in sand? I've googled around and am not finding the answer. Thanks! (I'm in the US Zone 5 and have chosen it to plant between patio stones because of it's fast growth and ability to take foot traffic)

View more questions Search