Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EIR2004 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Losing weight with hypothyroidism
    I've had hypothyroidism since the day I was born, because of that I don't have a metabolism so I have been big my whole life! I have tried several suposid treatment including the coconut oil , and folic acid pills. Thyroidizine and other thyriod weight pills. Can anyone suggest something that might acutally work
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:56 PM

Eat fruit, the pectin makes you feel full and in spite of the calories, fruit can help reduce weight. Do not drink fruit juice or pop with sugar. Drink plenty of water. Be just a bit hungry all the time.

Overeaters anonymous is full of people who can probably help with the airline seat question. I'm not saying that you're an overeater. That's where the experts you need are though.
    Liasdaughter Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
    The best advise for losing weight I have heard in a joke!

Doctor: I am desribing you 500 tablets of that medicine.

Patient: Will that help me, Doctor?

Doctor: Deffinitely ! Just empty the bottle on the ground, pick up all the tablets, and put them back into the bottle, 3 times per day.

Nice, gentle (at first) exercise really works, as many would testify it. It not only helps you to lose weight, but also tones your muscles, aids your cardivascular health, and your overall wellbeeing.
    suzieb Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2008, 04:06 PM

Losing weight isn't easy with hypothyroid. I know, I've tried and failed many times. The best way seems to be low carb but eventually I crave carbs and just put it back on again. I can't eat a lot of fruit because I'm diabetic too so have to watch my sugars. It's hard to exercise when you're always tired but exercise is essential. I once contacted a nutritionist who worked out an eating plan for me, based on my health conditions. It was expensive with all the supplements I needed to take but I felt really well and full of energy. Her name was Jane Frank and she's based in Wales UK. I think she has a website. Unfortunately it just became too expensive for me to continue as my income isn't great. Good luck.

Dec 18, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suzieb View Post
    Losing weight isn't easy with hypothyroid. I know, I've tried and failed many times. The best way seems to be low carb but eventually I crave carbs and just put it back on again. I can't eat a lot of fruit because I'm diabetic too so have to watch my sugars. It's hard to exercise when you're always tired but exercise is essential. I once contacted a nutritionist who worked out an eating plan for me, based on my health conditions. It was expensive with all the supplements I needed to take but I felt really well and full of energy. Her name was Jane Frank and she's based in Wales UK. I think she has a website. Unfortunately it just became too expensive for me to continue as my income isn't great. Good luck.
    Hi, Suzieb,

Thank you for your kind words and good wish. It is not I, but EIR2004, who has that problem. However, your advice is a sound one for everybody.

If you, and EIR2004, would like to look up

Diagnose-Me: Treatment: Coconut

You would find very helpful advices about using coconut oil. They suggest, that coconut oil would be helpful both for thyroid problems (and weight gain caused by thyroid problems) and diabetes, among a long list of other ailments.

It is a very valuable site, still it is used best with the professional advice from your doctor, as he/she is the one knowing your own medical record.

All the best, you, too !
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EIR2004 View Post
    i dont have a metabolism
    You have a metabolism, it's just slow. What medications have you been on? Synthroid?

Losing weight with hypothyroidism can be hard. It takes a good diet and exercise along with the medications.

Dec 18, 2008, 05:59 PM
    If you could look up

Diagnose-Me: Treatment: Coconut

You might find that you have been using a different coconut products. That site explains the differences between coconut products.

Please, keep up with the exercise, as they are very important of your well-beeing. You might want to group up with other sufferers, or those who just want to lose weight, or would like to maintain their health, by going for a walk. That way you can give each other encouragement, wouldn't feel embarrassed by the (imagined or actual) looks of others.

In time you will find the walking as a fun part of your day. And, it is much safer together, too !

Wish you well, you do deserve success!
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Liasdaughter,

I appreciate your trying to help. However, suggesting herbal treatments without knowing the medication regimine of the OP can be very dangerous, and, at times, deadly.

So, with that said, it is advised not to recommend treatments without knowing the medications currently involved.

Dec 18, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Liasdaughter,

I appreciate your trying to help. However, suggesting herbal treatments without knowing the medication regimine of the OP can be very dangerous, and, at times, deadly.

So, with that said, it is advised not to recommend treatments without knowing the medications currently involved.
    ================================================== ========

Hi, I also appreciate your concern. If you would read my "advise" further, you will also find the following from me:

"... They suggest [the site I recommended], the coconut oil would be helpful both for thyroid problems (and weight gain caused by thyroid problems) and diabetes, among a long list of other ailments.

IT IS A VERY VALUABLE SITE, STILL IT IS USED BEST WITH THE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE FROM YOUR DOCTOR, AS HE/SHE IS THE ONE KNOWING YOUR OWN MEDICAL RECORD"

Which could not be clearer for the need for the doctor's involvement, I believe.

Also, if you would look up the site, there you also would find the possible side effects, interference, and the same advise about your doctor's involvement.

I hope, that would put your very justified mind to rest.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 06:26 PM
    I did look at the site, and, as a medical professional myself, I do not rely on .com sites for scholarly information. Anyone can sign up for a .com site and post what they wish.

As a nurse, I have to frequently ask what meds the patient is on, as well as what meds they are currently taking to check for interactions.

Since the name of this site reflects Expert answers, it is my obligation, not only as a medical professional, but as a SuperModerator of the site to see that the medical boards do not contain anything of a litigious nature. Referring a member to a site that is not a scholarly site can result in litigation against you, me, and the site.

I hope you understand.

Dec 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I did look at the site, and, as a medical professional myself, I do not rely on .com sites for scholarly information. Anyone can sign up for a .com site and post what they wish.

As a nurse, I have to frequently ask what meds the patient is on, as well as what meds they are currently taking to check for interactions.

Since the name of this site reflects Expert answers, it is my obligation, not only as a medical professional, but as a SuperModerator of the site to see that the medical boards do not contain anything of a litigious nature. Referring a member to a site that is not a scholarly site can result in litigation against you, me, and the site.

I hope you understand.
    ================================================== ========

Yes, I do understand. And I do hope, that you, in your professional capability, and as a SuperModerator, also would see the site for what it is.

This is a site which offer "The Analyst" which is "used by doctors and patients alike", giving the benefit of helping you to decide whether a doctor's visit, and/or a lab test is necessary.

People tend to either over or undervalue their imagined or factual illnesses. As a consequence - as you would know best - many would either waste yours and your doctor's time (which would have been used for other patients) or, which is worst, delay or dismiss a very necessary visit to the doctor.

So, what is this site?

"Established in late 2002. Diagnose-Me.com began as a unique doctor-programmer collaboration. Being the first service of its kind, its future was uncertain at the time; what was clear, however, was the need for a much wider, deeper, and objective evaluation of patient symptoms than a doctor consultation could provide.

Since then, Diagnose-Me.com has grown to the point where we handle tens of thousands of cases each year with a 99.93% satisfaciton rate. Though it is now a rare occurence, we still look forward to encountering never-befor-seen problems.

Diagnose-Me.com is based on the Big Island of Hawaii, and has doctors and other staff working remotely across the U.S. and the rest of the world."

It also offers "The AnalystTM".

What is it?

"The AnalystTM is a diagnostic tool, now accessible online, that fills the gap between what you need and what busy, human doctors can offer. With less and less time to address a patient's individual needs and yet more and more research and other information to digest, incorrect and incomplete diagnoses are frquently made.

The AnalystTM pulls together extraordinary amounts of research, rules, connections, studies and real-world experience, applying all of this to every case that it encounters.

In short, our [not mine, I have absolutely nothing to do with them!] business is that of "connecting the dots" between thousands of clues to give you a clear picture, leaving a doctor (if necessary) free to perform his most important role, namely that of providing appropriate treatment for a confirmed condition."

This last line also, shows the importance and necessity of visiting a doctor. Only they gave you the informations what you need to understand your situations, helps you to form your question you could ask at your visit, ease you mind, and gives you the knowledge, otherwise - even with the best intent of your doctor or nurse - you are unlikely to get.

It is not against the medical profession, do not replace a doctor, but offers a more reliable information than your friend's second cousin's brother experiences. Which, you as well, do know happens often, and that is what really dangerous, and might even have life threatening consequences.

And, than, again, it prominently displays :

'SERVICE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A VISIT WITH A QUALIFIED, LICENCED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL."

Would it still look to you that I am set out to endanger anyone's life ?
    nahkaimurrao Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 07:42 PM
    I was tested for borderline hypothyroidism. I have a sedentary desk job and tend to overeat being hungry all the time. I recently tried 5 hour energy and power bar. This combination works for me. After taking 5 hour energy I can focus more and get more done, my performance at work is improving. Honestly, after taking 5 hour energy, I feel more normal than I have in a long time. I have gotten used to feeling tired all day long, usually half asleep at my desk and falling asleep after lunch. Now I feel great, I feel healthier. Also the powerbars seem to fill me up and I eat them for breakfast and lunch. Usually I would tend to really overeat. I would sometimes eat 2-3 meals worth of food for lunch and still feel hungry. Now I eat the powerbar and take the 5hour energy drink and feel great.
    I have only tried this for a couple weeks but I will try to continue and see if I lose some weight.
    This works for me. You will have to find something that works for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Losing weight [ 4 Answers ]

How do u lose weight in a week:)

Losing weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am so sick of people talking about me because I am fat. I don't think it is right and I want to lose weight I need some tips. I am going to the high school next year and a lot of people say that it is a lot of drama and I don't want nobody talking about me because of this. And it has always been...

Losing Weight [ 1 Answers ]

Can you lose like 20 lbs and not lose your Breast size?:o

Losing a lot of weight [ 1 Answers ]

I volunteer every day mon-thurs and this lady brought one of those step things and apparently we walk 6.5 miles every day, but still I can't seem to lose weight, what do I need to do, eat salads all the time? Or go to the gym and get a harder work out? Any suggestions?

Not losing weight [ 4 Answers ]

I 5'11, weigh 232lbs trying to get to 185lbs. 45 yrs old male... my bmi is 32 My supplements are : mens vitmins, hydroxcut, flax seed tablets, fish oil tablets, fiber tablets.. My daily calories are 1200, but I burn off 900-1700 calories daily walking up to 30 min -1 hr I drink approx 5...

View more questions Search