Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris_12345 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
    How can I get my mum 2 stop smoking
    My mum smokes about 10 cigerettes a day I know its not a lot compared to some people but I'm 15 an I've got asthma and recently had my tonsils out.. but even though her smoking is making my asthma worse she don't stop smoking round me or go out the house when she needs a fag lol but nether the less I'm also scared of her ruining her health she's in her 40's and she told me she's been smoking since 15... if I ask her to go out of put it out she says to me its my house ill do what I want.. she's tried all these nicotine patched and stuff alrealy but they don't seem to work for her.. does anybody know if there's something I can do to help her because I'm scared of her getting camcer and stuff and mking my health worse

Thanks for looking :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 09:03 PM

Suggest to her hypnotisim. It really works for some people.

Patches, pills, and gum only works if you want it to. If she is smoking the same amount while using these methods it won't work and she could get sick.

Also, have you though about an intervention? Get every together that cares about her, and explain to her that she needs help to stop, and that you all care for her and want her to be healthy.

Smoking is a very very hard addiction to break. And it takes dedication to stop.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:25 PM

My father-in-law has been trying to quit for years. He did hypnosis and quit, finally.

Your mum has to want to quit. Telling her to put it out will only make her defensive. That's like taking the spoon away from an ice cream addict, the addict gets mad and gets another spoon. An intervention? Maybe, but probably not for 10 fags a day.

If her smoking is hazardous to your health, and it is, she should take it outside. You have a right to a safe home. Have you spoken to a school counselor or family friend about this? Addiction has no element of love in it. Her continued smoking does not mean that she doesn't love you.

You can't make her quit. You can request that she does it outside. Your fears about cancer, asthma etc. are real. Her addiction is real too.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 5, 2008, 10:08 PM

I am a smoker and all the warnings about dangers of smoking and how it's killing me and all the diseases I can get from smoking are not enough to make me quit.

When I have quit it's because I've hit a bottom emotionally in part because of the way smoking has affected my relationship with my children when they were smaller (they are adults now).

The thing non-smoker and even some smokers don't realize is that smoking steals moments from your life, you aren't fully engaged in the activities with your children or friends because you have to have a smoke; it steals time from your loved ones and the precious moments in your life. It makes you a procrasinator and you don't achieve as much around the house or at work because you are constantly taking breaks to have a smoke. It makes your life more unmanageable.

In addition you smell from it, and you don't feel as good about yourself as you could; it steals a part of your self-esteem.

It is a coping mechanism, but the problem is, if you didn't smoke you wouldn't have the nicotine levels constantly fluctuating creating artificial anxiety which the only coping mechanism is another cigarette.

I know in the times I have quit I have feel 500% better about myself and my life is much more fulfilling.

Happiness does come in a bottle for smokers, it's called quitting.

How can I say this and still be a smoker? There isn't a day that I don't want to quit, I'm sick of it; but I am not your mom, there are millions of people just like your mom who have quit; many have had better luck or life circumstances to have quit completely, I am not yet one of the lucky ones; but I HAVE quit a number of times, so I know what it takes to get there. Staying there is another matter, and I have some advice on how not to start again (I've made all the mistakes), but that's for another thread.

Here is what I would do.

First I would show her this thread and explain you are concerned about her smoking and that you are seeking advice. If she is willing, have her read all the posts ( Hi, Kris's mom! ). At the very least she will get the notion of quitting rattling around in her head for a bit. Who knows, your quest for help here may be just the nudge she needs.

The point is, talk to her, don't be angry; tell her you love her and that you don't know what you would do without her. Show her this thread, and with any luck and a lot of love, you mom will try some sort of smoking cessation product; from nicotine puffers (like a cigar holder), I quit on those last time. Or the patch, the previous time I quit I used the patch. There is nicotine gum, and nicotine candy.

There are lots of choices, including others which are listed in posts above mine.

I think the biggest motivation will be her love for you, but I must warn you that smokers are very selfish; not by nature, but we are drug (nicotine) users and it's difficult to give up an addiction no matter how much we love. The fact your mom is a woman should help her a bit more because she should be able to connect with the love she has for you and it may result in an extra willingness to protect you from any harm coming to her.

This is for you mom. Mom... I don't know the other circumstances in your life, but I do know as a smoker there are likely things you regret or wish you had either the energy for, or simply wish to feel better about yourself. I can tell you that if you were to quit smoking you would feel 10 years younger and probably look 5 years younger. Your life would improve as you would have more time and dedication to things that are important or fun to you; and you will feel good about accomplishing them. But most of all, your child is in pain watching you; she/he loves you and doesn't want you to smoke anymore. Do you remember when you were young, did you worry about your mother from time to time and wonder what it would be like without her. Please don't put your child through this, please listen and do your best. That's all Kris is asking, that you try.

The best of luck to you and God Bless.
    kris_12345 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 04:37 AM

Thanks a lot ill will try what you said :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any medicines out there to help stop Smoking? [ 14 Answers ]

Dear Expert Any one have a good method to helping people to stop smoke ? Have any medicine can help ?Is expensive ? Thanks Dick

Wants to stop smoking [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been smoking weed everyday for 3 years now and now he has decided he wants to stop get a good job play sports and get his life back on track and he has come to me for help wanting me to help him not buy help him not smoke and to help him think of a plan to stop and I have agreed to...

Prescriptions to stop smoking [ 104 Answers ]

Has anyone taken prescription drugs to stop smoking Or know someone who has? Did it work? Have you or someone you know successfully quit smoking? If so, what method was used? Thanks

How can I get my boyfriend to stop smoking [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend is always getting high, and he said he would and he does stop for a good week and few days and than its back to the way it was before, and it just upsets me a lot. I don't understand if the fact that he smokes is what really upsets me, or he does it and promises he won't do it agn, and...

I want him to stop smoking. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.. I want to ask is smoking bad to ones health?? I know a guy he is smoking since sckool dayz and now he is 27 yesterday I talked with him our topic waz smoking he says no one dies from smoking.. is this true?? I want to stop him from smoking what should I tell him.. when ever I say...

View more questions Search