Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris_12345 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Cold sores
    I get cold sores a lot, I've tried every medication going to prevent them but none of them work... I've aksed my doctor for some tablets or something but she won't give them to me because I'm only 15, does anyone now how to get rid of them or prevent them or make the healing time quicker... I haven't got herpes or anything.. thanks :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 03:57 PM

You can get some lysine ointment from GNC and put on your cold sores. It cleared mine up within a couple days.
    Meeko Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 07:31 PM

Mouth wash applied with a Q-tip when you start to get the tingling sensation usually does the trick.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Acyclovir prescribed by your doctor can prevent this.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Nov 11, 2008, 12:53 PM

Cold sores are herpes, and are typically caused by Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1).

Cold Sores
    breee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 09:43 AM

"lauren6318" is correct, cold sores/fever blisters are herpes however it is not the type that you get from unprotected sex... for example I have got fever blisters every since I was a young child this is possible because cold sores are a virus and can be genetically passed down

Now as far as treating them goes there are many things you can do:
    Abreva
    Orajel
    Campho phenique
    Plenty more over the counter treatments
    Then there are prescriptions too and I don't know why your doctor won't give you any cause of your age because I am 15 too and my doctor has given me prescription medicine for my cold sores before so I don't know about that but from experience I read about this home remedy to mix toothpaste and salt and put that on the sores over night so I tried it and I strongly do NOT recommend this to anybody all it did for me was create more blisters I don't know why but it did so I do not recommend that... stick to actual treatments not home remedies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep getting boil like sores [ 5 Answers ]

My husband keeps getting these sores that are very painful & are like boils; or cellulitis; he is a roofer & it seems to happen more when they use wood shingles. He has gotten them mostly on his arms & 2 times on the chest... anyone know why, what they are from, & how to keep them from coming back?...

Cold sores [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cold sore and need to know if my hsv1 virus can become a hsv2 virus? i.e will my g\fs vagina catch it if I perform cunninglingus?

Cold sores causing std? [ 11 Answers ]

Here is a situation that happened to a close friend of mind... and I had never heard of it until she told me. Did you know that if a guy has a cold sore and he gives oral sex to a woman... he can give her herpes? This is apparently what happened to my friend. Her hub had stubble on his face and...

Remedies or oc Medication doe cold sores. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know any remedies for cold sores or what medications work the best... Is it possible to get rid of a cold sore in 2 days? Even if its really big and yucky! :(

My sores. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Please help me. I need answers SOON! A few days ago I noticed a spot on my elbow. I thought it was a bug bite. It itched terribly and everything. It looks like a mosquito bite but its not. Its been here for over a week now. The scab peeled off. But the bump is still there. A few days...

View more questions Search