Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinabuhalova Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 12:29 PM
    When I file for bancruptcy chapter 7 can they take my cars
    If I file for bancruptcy by chapter 7 can they take my car if it is paid off or any money in the bank example 10000.
    tinabuhalova Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Please answer
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Nov 5, 2008, 01:46 PM

Hi T

The bk laws are so complicated now. You should talk to a lawyer. You will have to disclose all of your finances like money in the bank etc. Each state has exemptons that you can use to keep your car etc. Everyone has to take a means test to see if they qualify for chapter 7 or 13 Talk to a lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 01:52 PM

In a chapter 7 bankruptcy you are allowed certain exemptions, these vary by state, if you have have money over the exemptions or property valued at over the exemptions, yes they can force you to use the money or sell the car.

** and of course if you have 10,000 in the bank, one would think you should have been "paying" your bills, but also what is your debts, do you owe 20,000 or do you owe 340000 dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I wait to file my taxes after filing a chapter 13? [ 2 Answers ]

I have filed a chapter 13 and I am supposed to have a confirmation meeting March 31. Do I need to wait until after the meeting or can I file my taxes now?

Should I file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I am $30,000 in DEBT I have 3 small kids ranging in age from 11-5 years old. I am a current student going for my associates only 28 years old I have one job making $9.00/hr. I don't see how I will ever be able to pay off this debt they r not credit card debts. I've got school loans and so on. I'm...

Will Chapter 7 impact my home / cars / job potential? [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering filing Chapter 7 and hope to get a few questions answered. I will not file if it would impact my home and cars. Basically, I have a significant amount of credit card debt and that, along with mortgage, car payments, student loan payments, and medical bills have put my wife and I...

Do I file Chapter 7? [ 1 Answers ]

I have about 12,500 in credit card debt, I have spoken with the creditors and they have agreed to settle for 50%, but I don't have all the money now and they require a full payment and will not work with me on making payments on a 50% settlement. My only other choice is Chapter 7 is this sensible...

Can I file chapter 7 as a power of attorney [ 1 Answers ]

I am POA for my father he almost died in feb 06. He is in a board and care and the costs are too much to pay any of his credit card debit. He only owns a car and has a pension and social security that totals 3400.00 mth. He owes about 28k in credit cards. We're about 3mth behind in payments. ...

View more questions Search