Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mooseman73 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 06:44 AM
    1994 Honda Accord - starter won't catch
    My wife's '94 accord has lately had difficulty starting. :(

Now, when you turn the key, the starter turns but the engine won't catch/ jump to life.

The battery is good, and I'm assuming the alternator is good as well.

Starter?
    Solenoid?
    Something else?

I want to do the work myself - are starters able to be replaced without lifting the car?

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:04 AM

Sounds like the starter needs replacing, due to a failing overruning clutch. Starters are easy to replace on Hondas:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219985

The starter is located under the hood, below and to the rear of the distributor.

Nov 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I talked to a local tech on the phone and he thought it might be the plugs and or plug wires.

The starter sounds "normal" when turning the ignition. The engine simply won't "catch". Not sure if that info is helpful.. Does the plug/wire remedy sound accurate,, or are you still suspecting the starter?

Nov 5, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Also,, could it be the ignition relay switch? What would indicate this over the plug wires & plugs?

THANKS a $1,000,000.00
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:49 AM

If it's a "crank but won't start situation," perform tests, in Sections A and B, below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Nov 6, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Turned out to be plugs and plug wires. $50 later at the parts store, and my wife is happy.

Thank you!! :)
    realmiss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 06:55 PM

My 97 honda accord is doint the same thing... but at first it would start if I gave it some gas... was this the case for you too?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 Honda Accord intermittent start [ 1 Answers ]

I've read the posts on this site about the commonly reported intermittant starting issue. My car behaves the same; occasionally it will take between 1-8 attempts for the car to start. It always cranks fine so it's not a battery or starter issue. Well, reading about the main relay as the problem...

1994 Honda Accord Battery drains [ 1 Answers ]

The battery drains within a couple of days after taking battery out, placing it on a wooden plank and charging it. Bought the battery a year ago. I first thought I got a bad battery and replaced it again. The car is in the garage and I simply put the battery back in the car and hook it up. I test...

1994 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My Honda Accord misfire when I accelarate. It idles good but when a load is put on the engine it misfire. Check engine light is Not on. I have change plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor & PCV valve.

View more questions Search