Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Nov 5, 2008, 04:06 AM
    Spirit, ghost, shadow person?
    As a child I remember seeing (and sensing) a male human figure/shadow enter my room and search through my jewellery box which was near the head of my bed. It was a slim figure, completely black (like a shadow) and over say 5 foot. It did not harm or touch me but I was scared stiff. However I don't think it meant to harm me.. Does anyone know anything about this kind of spirit?
    davers Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2008, 05:13 AM

Hi Hannah,
    My first question in response to yours is are you positive that it wasn't a dream? (you've probably heard that one before, but it is still a valid question). The problem with ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night, there's usually a rational explanation. When you're young your mind is very furtile and can imagine all sorts of things. You may have had a special prize within your box and you were worried someone might steal it. This would give your imagination a chance to run and as you begin to drop off to sleep your mind starts to imagine what could/may occur.
    Also memory's do get distorted over the years and so what you think you remember wasn't what actually happened.
    Not much help to you I know, but worth thinking about.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:37 PM

Sounds like a shadow person but they usually disappear as soon as they are aware that you are aware of them. I really don't know if shadow people do things like look though things either. But a spirit or ghost I would think would have done something besides simply going through a jewelry box and nothing more.
    But I really don't know.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 12:13 PM

You could have experienced some form of hypnagogia, which could produce hallucinations between wakefulness and sleep.

You can find more information by following this link:
    Hypnagogia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia:

Sights

Among the more commonly reported,[23][24] and more thoroughly researched, sensory features of hypnagogia are phosphenes which can manifest as seemingly random speckles, lines or geometrical patterns, including form constants, or as figurative (representational) images. They may be monochromatic or richly coloured, still or moving, flat or three-dimensional (offering an impression of perspective). Individual images are typically fleeting and given to very rapid changes. They are said to differ from dreams proper in that hypnagogic imagery is usually static and lacking in narrative content,[25] although others understand the state rather as a gradual transition from hypnagogia to fragmentary dreams,[26] i.e. from simple 'eigenlicht' to whole imagined scenes. Hypnagogia can be induced with a Dreamachine, which uses a pulsing frequency of light close to alpha waves to create this effect. Descriptions of exceptionally vivid and elaborate hypnagogic visuals can be found in the work of Marie-Jean-Léon, Marquis d'Hervey de Saint Denys.
    KniteShayd Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2009, 01:19 AM
    The same thing happened to me when I was younger. It happened once, and only once. To me.

I was asleep when I awoke and felt a presence in the room. I opened my eyes and seen multiple dark shadow figures in my room. They all appeared to be men. But, in hindsight I recall they were featureless, so I am unsure of a specific sex. At the site of them, I closed my eyes and held very still. I was scared and couldn't move. I felt like something was sucking me into my bed, preventing movement. I Remember the fear only lasting about 5 secs, then Gathering my wits and logic.
    I didn't know who, or what, they were. Or what they were doing. I didn't want them to know I was awake so I pretended to sleep. I slowly opened my eyes to see them and they were wondering around my room, as if looking for something. They didn't touch anything, they just looked over my shelves and dresser, and any other item with a surface. I remember one turning and coming over to me, as if to check if I was still sleeping. I closed my eyes as he/it approached, waited about 10 secs for him/it to be satisfied I wasn't awake, and continued to observe. I closed my eyes again, and pondered whether I should do something. I finally got enough resolve, relaxed, and then used all the energy I could muster to burst free from the force, that felt like vacuum, holding me back against my bed. I jumped up in my bed in a fighting pose (I was a martial arts student as a boy) And when I looked around they were gone. I was like? To this day I have never seen them again, or met someone describing them as you did. (The whole looking for something/going through something) This gave me the chills hearing of your experience.

Some people blame them on Night Terrors, some Hypnagogia. I don't believe they were either. I was fully awake and aware of what was going on. I know what it's like to float and teeter between a sleeping state, a dreaming state and an awake one. I was fully awake. Awake enough to do as I described above. Most people with night terrors just lay there paralyzed. I wasn't paralyzed. It felt more like I was restrained. I could move parts of my body. But as I said above, I didn't want those things to be aware I was awake.
    Almita34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Hi, I don't know much about this but I did see something like that in the year 2005 and scare me a lot and I think nobody believe me but I know what I saw is real so just pray tell that spirit to go away;)
    tradesman038 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Yes sometimes people will see them, and they are out there, its good to hear that it did not cause you any harm or hurt you, some does that, that might be the last time you see it, or if your in the same house you might get to see it again, your not crazy a lot of people see them this is why its so many ghost hunters out there, never worry about what others think there was not there, if you like to chat some more almita34

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeing a shadow and a ghost [ 11 Answers ]

My 3 year old daughter wakes up screaming and every time she does that I see a dark shadow floating around and leave that area . And one night I was asleep and she woke up screaming I open my eyes and her dad went to go get her and I saw the big dark shadow leave that area and when it did I saw a...

A Twin Shadow, Twin Ghost, Twin Guardian? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two friends (a male and a female) that they say that they have a twin - a black being, like a shadow that guards them.. They have different cases.. My female friend said that when someone sleeps in their house, especially for the first time, they notice someone who's like roaming around in...

I saw "spirit/ghost".. weird feeling! [ 2 Answers ]

I posted another thread titled.. My house is haunted.. But I wanted to share what happened to me almost 5 years ago at my dads house. My mom had passed away 10 days before xmas almost 5 years ago. I went to visit my dad about 2 weeks after she died. I was sitting at his kitchen table talking on the...

Eye Shadow [ 3 Answers ]

What colour eyeshadow would suit me the most, I have brown hair and green eyes?

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

View more questions Search